Bezier custom brush line Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Janet Perlman

Bezier custom brush line

Post by Janet Perlman »

When I use the bezier tool, or straight line tool, it has no resemblance to the line that I am using. I thought I was supposed to get the same line quality of the tool currently in use. Here is a screen grab of my custom brush line, and the bezier line result, with settings, which are the same for both lines. Why does the line quality change? Restarting did not help. I am using TVP 10 with an iMac Yosemite. Thanks.
Fabrice

Re: Bezier custom brush line

Post by Fabrice »

it's maybe because you are using a brush using jitter or the line smoothing option.
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Try to move or resize TVPaint's window.
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

Thanks, but that makes no difference. If I export an image, it looks like that. When I choose any another brush, like just a pen brush, or any other of my custom brushes, it works fine.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Janet Perlman wrote:Thanks, but that makes no difference. If I export an image, it looks like that. When I choose any another brush, like just a pen brush, or any other of my custom brushes, it works fine.
Janet , can you export the custom brush as a .tvpx file and upload it here . I'll download it and test to confirm that I get the same behavior (I'm on Mac , and I still have TVPaint 10 on my older laptop ) .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

Thank you. I don't have a problem with all the brushes, only the ones labelled crayon 1 and crayon 2.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/115 ... fance.tvpx
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Janet Perlman wrote:Thank you. I don't have a problem with all the brushes, only the ones labelled crayon 1 and crayon 2.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/115 ... fance.tvpx
I confirm the same behavior with the brushes crayon 1 and crayon 2 . The screen shot shows freehand stroke with crayon 1 and crayon 2 compared to a stroke made with the B-Spline tool .
J_Perlman_Crayon_1_Crayon_2_Test.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Have you optimized the brush ?
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I think the reason is simple. With these two brushes, the lines drawn with a stylus involve pressure-sensitive parameters where as the B-Spline lines do not. Notice if you draw the same line paths using your mouse, you get line qualities like you get with the B-Spline and line-generated results (which are drawn with a default pressure).

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

That explains it, Svengali. If I remove all my parameters, then the bezier and straight lines match the line quality. Unfortunately that is not the line quality that I want in this case. I guess this means that the bezier brush and straight line and circles etc., will only work with certain types of brushes, and are pretty much useless for the brushes that I want to use for animation. I know I can use shift for straight lines, but I don't know of any other tricks.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

What happens if you just set jitter to zero? This should at least create lines in the correct position. I'd play around a bit with the other parameters, and eventually get a brush for use with bezier only, which I'd save.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Hi Janet,

You could take this opportunity to learn a bit about designing your own brushes/tools. In this case you can modify parameters to approximate how the crayon brush drawn lines look but applied with other drawing tools (line, rectangle, ellipse, b-spline).

As a place to start, look at the modified Crayon brush in the enclosed tvpx. It uses five frames grabbed from the last part of the original animbrush, and then modifies some of the parameters from pressure to Random AND changes the Size, Shift and Opacity curve profiles to bring the brush markings into the proper range.

In this version, the Crayon brush still won't be exactly what you want, but try playing with some of the new parameter settings and values and curves and you''ll get it eventually. :D

Sven
Attachments
CrayonToUseWithDrawTools.tvpx
(148.5 KiB) Downloaded 857 times
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

When I set jitter to zero it helps, but the line is much much thicker, but if I make it smaller, then it does look the same. I will have to make a special brush for bezier and straightens to use only for that. I will have to think about how much I want these extra parameters in adopting my final brush look.
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

Very useful, Svengali. I will play with this and see what I can get. Thank you.