Another little problem: Copy and Paste SINGLE frames

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Another little problem: Copy and Paste SINGLE frames

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Here's another little problem I've noticed and it probably has a simple solution that has escaped my notice up to now , but I'll risk looking silly again and post my problem:

Sometimes I simply want to Copy (ctrl C) a frame and Paste it (ctrl V) to another blank frame between two drawings.

An odd thing happens ... When I paste the copied image it pastes a new blank frame inbetween the pasted image and the next image. Then I have to manually delete the new blank frame. I don't want an extra blank frame inserted , I only want to copy and paste the one frame.

(See attached images as explanation)

Why is it that when I 'Select Image' and 'Copy Image' (frame 1) and them 'Paste Image' to a blank frame (frame 2) that TVPaint creates a new blank frame between frame 2 and former frame 3 (now pushed forward one frame to become frame 4) ?
Attachments
Copy_Paste03.jpg
Copy_Paste02.jpg
Copy_Paste01.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

to paste over you need to select the frame(s) you want to be pasting over.

this way any selection of frames you make can be replaced (pasted over) with whatever your currently copied frame selection is.
quite versatile.

but another way to fill up an empty inbetween with the image of the previous frame is to drag the instance handle while holding the CTRL button.
this will keep all following instances in position and 'overwrite' the empty frame with the tail of the preceding instance head.
see image:
Attachments
copy-inbetween2.jpg
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Tantalus wrote:to paste over you need to select the frame(s) you want to be pasting over.

this way any selection of frames you make can be replaced (pasted over) with whatever your currently copied frame selection is.
Thank you , Peter. That did it ! Now I understand.

but another way to fill up an empty inbetween with the image of the previous frame is to drag the instance handle while holding the CTRL button.
this will keep all following instances in position and 'overwrite' the empty frame with the tail of the preceding instance head.
see image
Yes, there is that method and I probably should simply stick to that , but old force-of-habit from other applications I use makes me almost automatically do it with ctrl C and ctrl V .

The mystery of why that extra frame was inserted when I Copy and Paste was bothering me ... now I get it , so it doesn't bother me anymore . Thanks again !

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

in your specific case, you can also modify your [ctrl+v] shortkey as in te pict. below :
assign [layer: select current image] in first, then ctrl + assign the Paste command. 8)
Attachments
past'over.png
past'over.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 19446 times
A1

Post by A1 »

Tantalus,

i can't locate that instance panel that is shown on your screengrab.
Is it a customised panel? If so, where do i locate all of those instance related
actions, so i can build me one of those. 8)
thanks
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

A1 wrote:... i can't locate that instance panel that is shown on your screengrab.
Is it a customised panel? If so, where do i locate all of those instance related
actions, so i can build me one of those. 8)
thanks
oh sorry, my fault...! :oops:
that's one thing I should have been done for a while now...

this Instance Panel is now in the Contents Sharing section :
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 1474#11474

Enjoy! :)
A1

Post by A1 »

wow great.
Thanks a million!!
I'll install that right away!
thanks thanks!!