Panning & Zoom (held) Sticking [TVPA-3624] Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
kelanhordos

Panning & Zoom (held) Sticking [TVPA-3624]

Post by kelanhordos »

I was experiencing this in v11 with using space bar as a shortcut to act as the alt key for panning and zoom(can't open v11 to check what it was called there) but wanted to see how the new version works in v12. It is under Interface Panning & Zoom (held). This is intermittent, but happening often enough that it is rather noticeable where while using the shortcut to pan and letting it go, it stays "stuck" on panning until I hit the shortcut again or esc out. I've tried different shortcuts than spacebar, and it is also happening.
PC: Windows 10/64 Pro - TUF Gaming H470-PRO, i9-10900F@ 2.8 GHz - 32Gb RAM
Tvpaint 12.0.1 Pro
Wacom Cintiq 16 Driver: 6.4.7-3
D.T. Nethery

Re: Panning & Zoom (held) Sticking

Post by D.T. Nethery »

In v12 I can't duplicate the issue you describe. The shortcut Panning & Zoom (held) is assigned to Spacebar and it works as expected. I'm on MacOS , so maybe it's a Windows-only bug ?
Or if it's an intermittent problem maybe I just haven't had it happen yet. I'll pay attention and if it happens to me I'll report back here.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

I've been able to consistently duplicate the issue using the following method:

-Hold down the shortcut key and move the stylus or mouse to pan/zoom as normal.
-While the key is still pressed down and the stylus is pressed against the screen, rapidly press the shortcut key again at least twice. When you do this, the trick is to withdraw pressure from your finger without allowing the key to fully release

I'm guessing it gets locked up when the pan/zoom key is actioned but is already engaged.

D.T., can you try the above steps to see if it occurs for you on the Mac? Perhaps it is only on Windows 🤷🏾‍♂️.
Last edited by Cardin on 11 Jun 2024, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
TVPaint 12.0.0 Pro
System - CPU: i9-13900K, RAM: 128GB, GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB, OS: Win 11 Pro 23H2 Build 22631.3447
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.6-1 April 23, 2024)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Cardin wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 01:26 I've been able to consistently duplicate the issue using the following method:

-Hold down the shortcut key and move the stylus or mouse to pan/zoom as normal.
-While the key is still pressed down and the stylus is pressed against the screen, rapidly press the shortcut key again at least twice. When you do this, the trick is to withdraw pressure from your finger without allowing the key to fully release

I'm guessing it gets locked up when the pan/zoom key is actioned but is already engaged. Also, I was able to reproduce this with a mouse and it's not specific to the Space Bar. It happens with whatever key is assigned to "Panning & Zoom (held)".

D.T., can you try the above steps to see if it occurs for you on the Mac? Perhaps it is only on Windows 🤷🏾‍♂️.
Yes, doing the action you describe I was able to reproduce the problem on my end.

kelanhordos

Re: Panning & Zoom (held) Sticking [TVPA-3624]

Post by kelanhordos »

Oh that is very interesting! After testing out what you said and trying to figure out how that is happening on my end I discovered what is happening for me. Similar to what you are doing I am panning the screen, and while the shortcut is held down and the stylus is pressed against the screen, I let go of the shortcut, if the stylus was against the screen when I let go I am stuck in panning mode. If the stylus was already hovering when I let go then it is fine. As this movement is much faster when I'm drawing I was unaware of what was triggering it! Thanks kindly.

Btw, I am very certain I am only letting go of the key once, are either of you able to reproduce that?
PC: Windows 10/64 Pro - TUF Gaming H470-PRO, i9-10900F@ 2.8 GHz - 32Gb RAM
Tvpaint 12.0.1 Pro
Wacom Cintiq 16 Driver: 6.4.7-3
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 11:59 Yes, doing the action you describe I was able to reproduce the problem on my end.
Thanks, D.T. Nethery! kelanhordos identified an even easier way to reproduce it.
kelanhordos wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 14:05 Oh that is very interesting! After testing out what you said and trying to figure out how that is happening on my end I discovered what is happening for me. Similar to what you are doing I am panning the screen, and while the shortcut is held down and the stylus is pressed against the screen, I let go of the shortcut, if the stylus was against the screen when I let go I am stuck in panning mode. If the stylus was already hovering when I let go then it is fine. As this movement is much faster when I'm drawing I was unaware of what was triggering it! Thanks kindly.

Btw, I am very certain I am only letting go of the key once, are either of you able to reproduce that?
Ahh yes, simply releasing the shortcut while the stylus is pressed against the screen does cause the bug for me. The method I described was essentially doing the same thing but in a slightly more convoluted way with the rapid clicking of the key. Thanks, kelanhordos.

Hopefully this behavior can be corrected.
Last edited by Cardin on 11 Jun 2024, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
TVPaint 12.0.0 Pro
System - CPU: i9-13900K, RAM: 128GB, GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB, OS: Win 11 Pro 23H2 Build 22631.3447
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.6-1 April 23, 2024)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

kelanhordos wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 14:05 I am panning the screen, and while the shortcut is held down and the stylus is pressed against the screen, I let go of the shortcut, if the stylus was against the screen when I let go I am stuck in panning mode. If the stylus was already hovering when I let go then it is fine.
Same here on MacOS if I let go of the shortcut key (spacebar) with the tip of the stylus still pressed against the screen. I guess the reason I never noticed it before was because it seems I habitually lift my stylus off the screen at the same time I release the spacebar, so the problem never occurred for me.

JeremyN
Site Admin

Post by JeremyN »

The development team has identified the problem it has been fixed. The fix will be available in a future update.
Mac Developer