Dear community, help me understand this upgrade?

To talk about anything else
Peter Wassink

Re: Dear community, help me understand this upgrade?

Post by Peter Wassink »

kelanhordos wrote: 19 Jun 2024, 14:05 I would also like to hear more people's opinion on bones. As TVPUSER said above, if I was going to do rigged animation I would use other software, so I would also like to understand the thinking behind why they brought it in.
I don't plan to do rigged animation in TVP either, at least not in the way it is now advertised supporting a character rig.
I'm not sure who would?
So i do not quite understand why it was introduced or advertised like that.
Maybe some studios in France requested this?
i could see it having some function in animating mechanical background elements like perhaps a machine.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

kelanhordos wrote: 19 Jun 2024, 14:05
It is also a bit disappointing there is still no documentation up and no news in that regard. I am still finding a few interesting things that look cool but are possibly not functioning correctly but it's hard to know without documentation.
I confess I am baffled by the release of version 12 with no documentation (user manual) provided.
kelanhordos wrote: 19 Jun 2024, 14:05 I would also like to hear more people's opinion on bones.
I have no interest in the bones feature. If I wanted to do rigged puppet animation much better alternatives exist (Moho). My main interest continues to be hand drawn animation.

kelanhordos wrote: 19 Jun 2024, 14:05 As TVPUSER said above, if I was going to do rigged animation I would use other software, so I would also like to understand the thinking behind why they brought it in. I have tried playing around with it a bit, but it often crashes and makes it that much more frustrating.
This is also my experience with trying to play around with it. I can see how it might be useful for animating certain background elements or props. I intend to try to use it more just to find out how useful it might be, but I don't see it as something I would use for character animation.
kelanhordos wrote: 19 Jun 2024, 14:05 It seems like perhaps the technical improvements that made it possible will maybe open into bigger things in the future like a better FXstack, with better control as we see in the camera layer and bones now, but that is just supposition on my part.
I really hope so. It would be wonderful to see some significant improvement of the established tools in TVPaint such as the KeyFramer, the Multiplane Camera, updating and expanding the Particle FX , and outside of the FX Stack the Warp Tool. The Warp Tool , in particular , seems to me as if it was a good idea that never quite got developed to it's fullest potential. The Warp Tool needs to be keyframeable and have a time profile curve . I've never been bothered by it too much because my primary focus is on traditional hand drawn animation so I have limited use for things like the Warp Tool, but again, I think it has potential as a tool to animate certain types of objects (Svengali has done some very interesting experiments with it and made some useful custom panels to make the Warp Tool easier to use for animation).

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 20 Jun 2024, 13:57 I really hope so. It would be wonderful to see some significant improvement of the established tools in TVPaint such as the KeyFramer, the Multiplane Camera, updating and expanding the Particle FX , and outside of the FX Stack the Warp Tool. The Warp Tool , in particular , seems to me as if it was a good idea that never quite got developed to it's fullest potential.
100% This.

I feel the focus could be more to streamline the existing tools to facilitate 2D animators.
So it would make it really worth for them to upgrade to v12
To improve the UI and UX of all the tools we already have.

And the list is long... lots of little things that might not look sexy on the face of it but that actually help improve the animators experience.
these just some of mine:
  • -Brush engine (has not changed in 10 years) it would be great to have some extra connection settings, the new 2-paper function does not help to create better brushes, a paper connection ... now that would be interesting!!!!
  • -multiple colorpanels open at once
  • -easy config sharing
  • -improvement of the 'Off peg' rotation interface
  • -folder interface, have them as UI elements that are movable #edit (Léo just promised looking into this!)
  • -animatable (keyframable) warptool
  • -more drag and drop throughout the interface f.i.: drag and drop frames into the library
  • -Projectview - have some zoomscaling presets in timelineview just like the cliptimeline has
  • -Projectview - save clips directly as project
  • -a ColorPick that can also pick the alpha info > translate this to the right opacity for a tool, So a pixel with rgb = black and alpha = 125 should set brush to RGB black and opacity 50%
  • -16 bit colordepth option
  • -FXstack - apply an FX to specific layer
  • -FXstack - have multiple stacks (with tabs) or group FX's

-FXStack FXs that need attention:
  • -particles, needs updating
  • -variant to the Rotospline Fx, so it can keyframe animate a brushstroke using the current drawingtool, this would add a great way to spline animate a line in a controlled way
  • -Warp grid, an integration or side by side with the mainpanel warp so it can become keyframable, would be powerfull thing
  • -stabilisation, many softwares now do this with much more ease and precision.
kelanhordos

Post by kelanhordos »

-Brush engine (has not changed in 10 years) it would be great to have some extra connection settings, the new 2-paper function does not help to create better brushes, a paper connection ... now that would be interesting!!!!
There actually is paper connections! I was going to be making a post about some bugs regarding it, but I am still testing and was hoping there would be documentation by now, but I couldn't believe I didn't see it announced anywhere. They are not working as one would expect(hope) but as I said I will make a thread regarding that.

All of these are really great suggestions by you and D. T. Nethery, they are all things I would like to see too.

Maybe we need a thread to advertise some of the improvements that are less obvious without documentation in the meantime. A couple small changes that stand out to me off the top of my head that I only found looking through the shortcuts/by accident:

Floating Color Picker(in shortcuts) doesn't need to switch to color picker tool, but works on the fly similar to other program color pickers. (Only improvement would be a Floating color picker B as well)
Bezier Curves option in any profile pop ups. Long awaited quality of life for adjusting curves!
Attachments
paper connections.jpg
paper connections.jpg (91.95 KiB) Viewed 216 times
PC: Windows 10/64 Pro - TUF Gaming H470-PRO, i9-10900F@ 2.8 GHz - 32Gb RAM
Tvpaint 12 Pro
Wacom Cintiq 16 Driver: 6.4.5-5
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

WHAT!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
you are right!?

This is potentially one of the biggest most important new features in v12 and you completely hide it!?
It makes me so sad.
Last edited by Peter Wassink on 21 Jun 2024, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

ah sorry... those connection settings don't Really work as i hoped, yet ....hopefully they will soon?
These parameters only work on a 'per stroke' basis meaning its not continuous
and the value can't change during stroke :(

Also the UI is a bit finecky, if the opacity is set wrong the stroke doesn't register and you don't see anything at all.
The angle value behaves unpredictable, the 360 degrees slider workes different from the angle dial in the custombrush tool panel, i could not reliably recreate a consistent angle.

but it would be a huge game changer, in terms of possibilities for new tools, to have it adjust continuously like tools connections can do now.
kelanhordos

Post by kelanhordos »

Ya it's unfortunate, I posted about my findings just now here, would appreciate you adding any thoughts!

viewtopic.php?t=16495
PC: Windows 10/64 Pro - TUF Gaming H470-PRO, i9-10900F@ 2.8 GHz - 32Gb RAM
Tvpaint 12 Pro
Wacom Cintiq 16 Driver: 6.4.5-5