tvp 12 mac m2 crashing

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
paultoonz

tvp 12 mac m2 crashing

Post by paultoonz »

hi there,
is there any release coming soon that fixes the bugs mentioned lately by quite a few posters?
ive found the software now warning me on opening that due to stability issues it will reset to default... or something like that

so far
layer delte (right click) crash
sometimes randomly crashes when working on a large file
sometimes randomly crashes when merging layers
copy and paste drawing/ image to different location has a bug as it often just pastes right after the previous instance instead of new chosen location (takes 2 goes to get it right)
camera set up in v11 does not translate to v12 and vice versa... which basically makes a team / freelancers working on various versions of tvpaint incompatible unless you make sure camera moves are disabled. (unless ive missed a trick?)

ive tried rosetta and resetting config without success...
for what its worth, i love the update and new features, but with these bugs i think it would have been good to keep this in beta a little longer, or at least allow everyone to use v11 (if anyone is locked out) until such issues are resolved..

thanks in advance for any advice!
kelanhordos

Re: tvp 12 mac m2 crashing

Post by kelanhordos »

Just a note on the startup stability warning, if it is the warning below, this occurs in v11 as well when you have a file over a certain resolution that is opening with the program. If you unselect "Open last project on startup" in the General preferences it should get rid of it. I am not sure the exact resolution it kicks in at but if you have an 8k resolution project open when you close, and open Tvpaint with that setting enabled it will give you this warning as a quick way to test it.
stability.jpg
stability.jpg (24.7 KiB) Viewed 169 times
PC: Windows 10/64 Pro - TUF Gaming H470-PRO, i9-10900F@ 2.8 GHz - 32Gb RAM
Tvpaint 12 Pro
Wacom Cintiq 16 Driver: 6.4.5-5
paultoonz

Post by paultoonz »

oh thanks, in this case i dont have any resolution issues so im unsure the reasons for the warning.. it is that message though (well spotted about the 8k thing!) i havent worked on anything above 4k...

also noticed that someone working in v11 on a v12 project has issues with exports now as well... (something to do with frame rates) so i will try and dig a little deeper and see if this is continuing on other files...
Chillrobski

Post by Chillrobski »

Hi and thanks! I really like the upgrades and new look!

Issues:

1. I’m finding that TVP 12 keeps crashing after 2-3 mins if the program hasn’t been used for a few days on a Mac Studio/Sonoma. A work around to the crashes is restarting the computer and immediately changing the pen tool. Also finding that TVP 12 crashes randomly while using it. A work around isn't known to me but I have to save as much as possible. Not sure I can continue using 12 but definitely hoping for a fix for the crashes soon! Should we move back to 11 in the meantime?

2. The timeline disappears randomly in the inlay view. A work around is pressing keyboard 0 and the timeline reappears. Restarting the computer helps occasionally.

3. If you have more than one monitor the program will occasionally open in another screen. Sometimes it opens full screen and the user can’t move it to another. A work around is restarting the computer.

4. The selection tool will randomly stop working. A work around is pushing J on your keyboard to reactivate it. H will deactivate the tool. Or...In special cases delete the conf folder. Path preference/ select startup configuration/ select open start up panel. Next close the program, start it again and a small panel will appear. Under the TVPaint logo 12 press delete and TVPaint will reset. You’ll need to set your panels and tools up again so save and export any custom panels you’ve made first. Drag and drop them into the view port and select next/ then ok to open them again.

5. Copy and paste isn’t functioning properly. A work around is copying and pasting your image twice into the preferred instance. The cursor will bounce back on the first attempt but the second attempt will work. Or...Also see the attached select and copy/ paste custom panel. It’s a collection of tools made by other great artists on this forum. Some of the icons I simply reused from other TVPaint features.

1. Select
2. Copy to Brush
3. Go Right
4. Go Left
5. Delete
6. Copy Frame
7. Paste in Place
8. Deselect

Bonus
A. Make empty frame after.
B. Make empty frame before.
Copy_Paste_Image_Or_Part.tvpx
(501.5 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Lastly, these are tips that work for me. They might not work in every situation but I'm hoping sharing these work arounds will prove to be helpful to the TVP team or another artist. Thanks for your time!