Malcoonimages

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Peter Wassink

Re: Malcoonimages

Post by Peter Wassink »

What a lovely drawing!

I was not bothered by the water level, a magical animal like this could have its own water source, always keeping the water filled to the edge (although then you should see water spill)
The tail, i agree, looks a bit cheated. it might work nicer if it grew out of the tubs edge
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:A wonderful idea, but even fantasy has it's proper and improper anatomy. The ass's neck comes a bit too close to the edge of the tub; it doesn't allow for the tub's thickness and actually the same might be said about its legs and also the tail which isn't coming out of the tub from the place where the ass's ass would have its crack.
The donkey IS the tub, he's not sitting in it.
Same thing for the tail - I was not seeking anatomical correctness.
I agree about the water but decided that i don't really care, because if it was indeed straight the drawing would get a similitude to surreal drawings, and it is certainly not my intention. After all this is not an illustration, nor anything else, but just a drawing I made for my girlfriend.
No intention to animate it.
Klaus Hoefs wrote:Another one comes to me: it looks a little bit artistic mannerism as illustration sometimes do when they go breeding-in. This happens when work is not primary connected to real life or feelings but stew in one's own juice. Here nobody is forearmed.
I didn't quite get what you mean. Can you elaborate?
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I don't believe a drawing is complete once you have to search for excuses to explain away oversights, unless, of course there would be text explaining that once upon a time in a land where water never spilled and tails came out of the sides of nowhere and gravity was elsewhere and I don't care anyway etc. -- then the drawing is complete... That's the trouble with throwing up a drawing to wait to see who salutes.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

EDIT: nevermind
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Klaus Hoefs wrote:...This happens when work is not primary connected to real life or feelings ...
I have the idea that it is connected here .
malcooning wrote:... just a drawing I made for my girlfriend.
how lucky she is ! I hope she enjoyed it . :wink:
Paul Fierlinger

Well, the truth is that we should all look at each other's work through the prism of an astute observer. I remember Raymound once pointing out to me that a wheel of a car that was in motion wasn't turning, which gave me a jolt because no one had noticed this deficiency (which I was perfectly aware of) up to that point. Since one person had noticed and it just happened to be a person who has the mind of an industrious inspector, I thought I could continue through life without correcting it, but that incomplete wheel kept nagging me and a year later I fixed it. But all that year I assumed the eye of the industrious inspector myself and wouldn't allow myself to get away with many things I normally would have.

So I don't mind having these things pointed out to me because it improves my attitude towards my work... if the nit-picking becomes too petty, I will recognize it as such and not take it seriously. Once we display our work to the inner circle of this public (here) we are in the position of developers who issued another beta version; they listen to all the beta-testing nit-pickers and later evaluate which they must change and which has to wait to possibly never get changed. Because life is full of imperfections as is nature and the line has to be drawn somewhere since our drawings would then look like works of technicians and scientists and bureaucrats and engineers, but never an artist.

So it's art but even art needs to assume its own rules of balance.
Paul
Paul Fierlinger

a meaningless platitude when it appears on a thread of art critiques.
Paul
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

ZigOtto wrote:
Klaus Hoefs wrote:...This happens when work is not primary connected to real life or feelings ...
I have the idea that it is connected here .
Your idea is correct :)
ZigOtto wrote:
malcooning wrote:... just a drawing I made for my girlfriend.
She did very much.

@Paul, it just occurred to me that I never wrote anything critical about your work. I wonder why that is.
Paul Fierlinger

@Paul, it just occurred to me that I never wrote anything critical about your work. I wonder why that is.
Now there's a case of a need for improvement! :)

When I was in my twenties I lived in Prague in a community of fellow artists. We sat almost every day in one of the 2 or 3 of our favorite beer pubs and ripped away at each other's works. We had fierce arguments and there was often angry shouting and misunderstandings but the atmosphere was very productive and we never tired of coming back for more. But there was one thing we never did and that was we never took sides... we just spoke our minds openly let the chips fall where they may and somehow we understood that taking sides would destroy, not improve, friendships.

Politicians in Washington say the same thing about the better days of the past when Democrats and Republicans could have fierce fights in congress but at the end of the day they would all have drinks together. It's not like that anymore in Washington and what has changed is that these politicians now take sides with each other and it has created a completely unproductive atmosphere.
Paul
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

I guess I'm just not one of your Praguian friends.
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

malcooning wrote:Klaus Hoefs wrote:
Another one comes to me: it looks a little bit artistic mannerism as illustration sometimes do when they go breeding-in. This happens when work is not primary connected to real life or feelings but stew in one's own juice. Here nobody is forearmed.

I didn't quite get what you mean. Can you elaborate?
If you're entering a new room you have to struggle to find the forms, the colors, the symbols to manage everything to get work together in one more or less plausible lingo. It always results in a rather rough painting or drawing ( history of art is full of those triumph and fail). If you have conquered this room you start to work for the little details: one more squiggle here and one more there - this and this "also done so well", finally it all adds up to sweet decor, it's like the taste of almond liqueur.

malcooning wrote:I guess I'm just not one of your Praguian friends.
You can only be glad about that; most of them are dead now.
Paul
malcooning

a drag

Post by malcooning »

Came up with nice brush results. I wasn't sure whether to post it here or not because for some obscure reason my drawing became into a dragon. I don't like dragons. And I particularly don't like drawing them. So it's a bit of drag. But what the heck, I think the paint effect is quite nice. The point here is to showcase TVP.
I used 2 different brushes for this. One is a custom brush, the other is OilBrush. Ah, and a touch of SpecialBrush in 'Mixer' mode.

Last edited by malcooning on 22 Sep 2010, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

oh, a baby dragon, freshly released from its egg ...! :)

nice rendering experimentation Asaf , have you some paper active with your brushes ?
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Yes, I have 'Paper 02' associated with the OilBrush (the one that makes the streaky strokes in the drawing). But the Brush that gives the rest of the strokes is not paper-attached. I guess it's just the way I rendered the brush in the first place. It's not a very intuitive brush, in fact, I was ready to get rid of it until I played with it at varying sizes and step values until something interesting came up.