Escale

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Elodie

Escale

Post by Elodie »

I wonder how it was done :

malcooning

Re: Escale

Post by malcooning »

The maker seems like he/she had good technical access, as there was quite a lot of frame morphing and feels like much effort went onto making the film look hand made. But there's an ongoing lack of some imaginative spirit. This little film mainly makes me ask - why is it animated? What's in it that asks for it to be drawn?
The only part that has magic is when the guy imagines him dancing with the woman. that's properly hand drawn, has that fleeting magic of under-describing, and, in fact, speaks for itself. that little sequence is the whole film. The rest is pointless, i find.

As for how it was done, It could have very well been TVP. It doesn't look hand-colored, only hand drawn,
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I agree with you concerning the technique. I would add the 3D spoils a little the final rendering, because the characters are not always placed like they should be, and some elements moving strangely.

But I appreciate the slow moments, even if sometimes they can be a little too long, they don't bother me. But I must say I also like the dancing dream.

I would really like to know which technology they used... :roll:
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Elodie wrote:I agree with you concerning the technique. I would add the 3D spoils a little the final rendering, because the characters are not always placed like they should be, and some elements moving strangely.

But I appreciate the slow moments, even if sometimes they can be a little too long, they don't bother me. But I must say I also like the dancing dream.

I would really like to know which technology they used... :roll:
i don't think 3D(as in cgi) was used here, the 3d effect was created by hand (as far as i can see) and thats what makes for the imperfections.
The reason it looks like 3d is because of the mappings used on the walls when the camera moves through the room.

i also think i know the answer to that old "why is it animated?" question.
its because the film maker is an animator.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

What bothered me the most was the lack of animation and drawing skills in general. The figures were lumpy, as if made of clay, but the clay had no weight and the characters appeared generally unauthentic. I sensed a void of personal experiences within the surroundings; I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the animator never smoked, never experienced the pleasures of fondling real breasts (was the animator perhaps a woman?), she clearly never set foot on a large sailboat and never sailed in her life. If I am wrong about her, I don't care -- these are the impressions I got from watching the film and these are big flaws.

The animator's need to get perspective and camera moves just right combined with the lack of ambition to get the acting right was the second most disturbing part for me.
i also think i know the answer to that old "why is it animated?" question.
its because the film maker is an animator.
:mrgreen:
So true, yet the question is always a valid one. I think she was attempting to show how she can draw and paint the flavor of the day and that would have been enough to warrant animation if done with masterful skills. The problem here is that the animator still has so much to learn about drawing that to attempt to show off her skills came too early, therefore the result is lacking in humility.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:... I think she was attempting to show how she can draw and paint the flavor of the day and that would have been enough to warrant animation if done with masterful skills. The problem here is that the animator still has so much to learn about drawing that to attempt to show off her skills came too early, therefore the result is lacking in humility.
I feel exactely the opposite, to my eyes, her weakness is the lack of ambition, regarding the story, but not only : the chara-design seems to have been stoped just at the first try (the eggy nose disturbed me a lot for a main character, the secondary characters look more well outcome and better achieved),
beside that, you can't blame young animators to lack of humility, it's mostly their strength, and they usually don't emcumbered themselves with such brake to their expression.

All I can say is she can draw,
but in "Escale", her style seems to be still "in search", not yet mature.
... and she can animate as well (although her skill is here again "on the road", I mean perfectible).
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

You picked a drawing that doesn't look like anything I saw in that film. From this drawing I can see she is left-handed, she often draws laying down, she knows what it feels like to turn her head to study her subject... in other words, she is drawing what she knows well and it comes through.

My defining her film as lacking in humility is exactly what you describe:
to my eyes, her weakness is the lack of ambition, regarding the story
... yet she goes ahead with it anyway. Humility is to know your limitations and work them out before pressing yourself onto the public.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Elodie wrote: I would really like to know which technology they used... :roll:
"Adobe" technology, as mostly every ex.gobelin's student,
at least for the pre-Rony period ... :wink:
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

at least for the pre-Rony period ... :wink:
ohhhhh yes .... :twisted: ( niark niark !!! )
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Peter Wassink wrote:
Elodie wrote:i don't think 3D(as in cgi) was used here, the 3d effect was created by hand (as far as i can see) and thats what makes for the imperfections.
The reason it looks like 3d is because of the mappings used on the walls when the camera moves through the room.
Yes, I agree. In my last post, I meant : she used a 3D help because she maybe thought it would be more easy to make a panoramic movement. But by using a 3D help, she brought a strange result to her movie, in particular in the scene where the fisherman enters in the pub. That's what I meant by "3D spoils a little". I think she would have drawn an anamorphose background, the result would have been better than use 3D.
Rik Jurriaans

Post by Rik Jurriaans »

I don't want to be "that smard ass" but I clearly see that a lot of things are not animated very well. she, clearly never smoked before, the hair on almost every move they make dosn't drag and settles. and a saw a weightles walk.

And realy don't get me wrong, I thing she is a realy good draughtsman.

But I rather have stick figures walking and smoking properly than this every cell painted with 4 shadow kind of thing.
Im sorry for the bad spelling.