STRANGE ISSUE never before encountered . . .

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
toonybrain

STRANGE ISSUE never before encountered . . .

Post by toonybrain »

I cannot save the file on which I'm working. No matter what name I save it to, it tells me that TVPaint "cannot save file." I've tried plain ol' SAVE, SAVE TO, etc. Nothing works.

There is a big storm approaching our area which often leads to downed power lines - I'm feeling somewhat panicked that I'll lose all this work.

Can someone help me?
Hervé
Site Admin

Re: STRANGE ISSUE never before encountered . . .

Post by Hervé »

Mac or Windows ?
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

WINDOWS 7. I think I may have already lost it. I also saved it as a template - or at least tried to save it as a template - I don't know how to open a template to verify it was saved. Thank you Herve.
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

It appears that I lost it all . . . colossal bummer. :x I save regularly, but I was racing against this storm so I wasn't paying attention like usual. I searched in the TVPaint template file and there is nothing by the name I assigned to the template.

Any ideas why this happened and what I can do in the future if it occurs again?
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

:o :?: it's strange you couldn't save your project at all,
... maybe it has been saved previously on an external device, which wasn't connected the last time ...?
... had you several project opened ?
next time, if the same "no sav'ability" problem occurs, try to "Export Clip..." and change of path/location to be sure it's not a device issue.

... oh, one more thing : in the preference panel, set the "Backup number" at least to 3 or 4, (some user here use to set it to 99 !) :wink:
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

ZigO, your questions/mullings answered in order:
1) No, no external hard drives, devices, etc.
2) It was the only project open.
3) I tried to save it to another drive (but not by "exporting project"); no luck with that. I will try exporting the project if it should happen again, and give it a try.
4) I have 3 backups of all projects (But, because it didn't save this one, I had no backups either).

Bummer.

Thank you, ZigO, for taking the time to address this issue with your experience and expertise.

Keep those solutions coming, Folks!
Animark

Post by Animark »

I think I had the same problem sometimes in the past. It is not reproducable for me, but i remember some ideas I had, that helped me. I never lost a file in that way.
- some issues with the rights management ( I tried to save on another harddisc/external disc)
- not enough diskspace, maybe on the system partition or on the partition where the file have to save to
- lost connection to a harddisk where the file was opened from

Maybe it helps for the next time.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

Thank you for your input, Animark. I will keep them close at hand for any future dismaying events.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

toonybrain,

After working a long session of drawing this evening there was some kind of odd glitch that temporarily locked up my system (about 30 seconds) after which I had the same problem as you: not being able to save the project - under any name.

I solved it by clicking Duplicate Project under the Project Menu and was able to save the duplicate under a different name, fully intact. I exited TVPaint then restarted it and loaded the duplicate project and immediately saved it under my original working title with nothing lost.

Just something to try if you run into the problem again.

Sven
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

Sven, way to go! I'll try that in the event this ever happens again.

I'm also thinking that perhaps my Windows operating system downloaded some updates while I had been working in TVPaint, then the system got all wacky because it needed a reboot. I don't know . . . :shock: