Is there no simple cut/paste?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Cloakndagger

Is there no simple cut/paste?

Post by Cloakndagger »

I'm trying to cut and paste a portion of an image I'm animating. All of the cut/paste options I've researched and discovered are for the entire frame, or a very roundabout way by using a tool to select an area, then it creates a brush of that area, then you have to go erase said area, then you go back to the brush and apply is where you want to.

What am I missing? I'm using 9.0.

Thanks.
Elodie

Re: Is there no simple cut/paste?

Post by Elodie »

Welcome Cloak'

You should use the "Selection tool" instead of the "Custom brush cutter".

Select the area you want, then select the concerned images and in the panel "Tool : Select", click on "cut to layer".

You'll obtain 2 layers : one with the inner selection, the other with outer selection.

By the way, if you're using the 9.0, you should update to the 9.5. It's free and you will have many new great features ;)
Cloakndagger

Post by Cloakndagger »

Thanks, I'll consider 9.5 but I've been learning 9.0 and I'm weary of changing anything until I need to.

Thanks also for your help, but that doesn't accomplish exactly what I need to do. I need to move a portion of a picture within the same frame. Imagine you had a picture in Paintbrush (windows) and you just selected a specific area. Then you'd simply click the "move" tool, and move the selected area around on the picture, letting go where you want it.

That's what I'm looking for. Any way to accomplish this simpler way?
A1

Post by A1 »

after you make a selection use the transform tool (3 buttons to the right from 'rectangle select'),
and simply move your selection within the frame.Don't forget to apply to your frame.
easy! (If this is indeed what your looking for )
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Cloakndagger wrote:I'm trying to cut and paste a portion of an image I'm animating. All of the cut/paste options I've researched and discovered are for the entire frame, or a very roundabout way by using a tool to select an area, then it creates a brush of that area, then you have to go erase said area, then you go back to the brush and apply is where you want to.

What am I missing? I'm using 9.0.

Thanks.
if you pick up the animbrush with the right mousebutton (or while pressing your wacom switch) it will cut instead of copy thus allowing to skip the step of erasing 'said area'

that way its no longer roundabout, i most often do it like this.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Cloakndagger

Post by Cloakndagger »

Thank you guys, you've been a big help!