SDK PLugin development - painting tool

A forum dedicated to George scripting questions
oferk

SDK PLugin development - painting tool

Post by oferk »

Hello,
I want to implement the Lazybrush algorithm as an alternative paint bucket tool inside tvpaint. This algorithm is very impressive, and I think it will be a great addition and a huge time saver.
I guess the way to go is the SDK, right? Is it flexible enough to allow me access to read and write the pixels of an image? Is the API fast enough?
Also, where do I get the SDK? :)

Thanks a lot for any help
idragosani

Re: SDK PLugin development - painting tool

Post by idragosani »

Can you describe how this algorithm works (I think you need to write to Fabrice or Herve to get the SDK)
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

I guess something like the Smoothing tool we have for drawing (smooth) strokes,
smoothingTool.png
smoothingTool.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
but applied on the edge detection of the filling tools,
am I right ?
well, the "Smoothing tool" for filling shape have been already requested if memory serves,
maybe on the "to do" list, ... who knows ...? :)
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Lazy Mouse and the TVP Smoothing tool provide essentially the same functionality.

An external plugin called LazyNezumi, that intercepted and modified the mouse/tablet input, was discussed HERE before the Smoothing tool was added to TVP...

Sven
oferk

Post by oferk »

Hi,
I will look into these plugins, it is interesting. Are they freely available?
http://dcgi.felk.cvut.cz/home/sykorad/lazybrush.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lazybrush is not the same as Lazy Mouse. You can read about it and watch it in action here -

I works by pre-filtering the image, and then solving multiple maxflow/mincut problems on a graph built from the image.
To be honest I do not really understand the math behind it, I'm an animator after all, but I can implement it. The author of the article is very cooperative and answers my questions.
Lazybrush is like a paint bucket tool, but its designed for painting hand drawings. It handles sketchy lines, and even shading, holes in lines, and also allows for quick loos paint strokes that don't
have to be exact over small, tight regions.
I never tested it, really, but from the video, it seems like this is something else. amazing. If i'm not mistaken, it is being used by Disney in a propriety tool. This is why the author cannot give me
the source code, but can help me write my own implementation.
So you think the SDK will allow me to integrate it to tvp?

Thanks.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Sorry, didn't read carefully enough. Interesting concept. 8)

As for the SDK for TVPaint, you'll probably do best if you request that specifically in this forum, from Herve. Myself, I only use GEORGE scripting as defined HERE.

Sven

Edit: Their paper on the project gives a good overview of the problems to be solved and their successes. Impressive! I'd love to see something like that implemented for TVPaint users...
Last edited by Svengali on 14 Mar 2012, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

That would be a handy thing to have. I've seen similar things in vector-based graphics apps.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
BenEcosse

Post by BenEcosse »

very impressive
Last edited by BenEcosse on 05 May 2016, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
oferk

Post by oferk »

Great, I will do my best.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Svengali wrote:... I'd love to see something like that implemented for TVPaint users...
+1 ! 8)
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

+ 1
BenEcosse

Post by BenEcosse »

+1
Last edited by BenEcosse on 05 May 2016, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
oferk

Post by oferk »

Hi,
Just wanted to update that a friend of mine managed to get this algo working in matlab, and if all goes well, and we get the tvpaint SDK, we might have a plugin by the end of the summer. Hopefully. Its actually not too complex if you don't really care to understand how and why its working.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I just now looked at your website and find what you are trying to accomplish intriguing... you guys are serious, aren't you! Can you give us an idea of how much this app might cost, once ready for the world? I assume you will be offering your product as an outside plugin tailored to various animation software such as TVPaint etc. Am I correct?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
oferk

Post by oferk »

Well, it is not my website, and I'm not the author of the paper and algorithm. Im just an animation student who somehow found it, and since I'm also a programmer, I decided to try and implement it.
Now, I am in contact with the author, and he is very pleased that people find interest in this technique. He and his student are working on a commercial plugin for photoshop cs6, but as an animator I really don't think photoshop is the right place for it. I'm not sure what we will do with the plugin if we manage to get it working, but I think it will be open-source.