linking layers

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Animaker

linking layers

Post by Animaker »

I want to link layers in order to insert or delete frames on one layer and still keep all other layers in sync. I downloaded a script for this a couple of days ago, but can't find it again. PLEASE help.
Haugse animaker
Paul Fierlinger

Re: linking layers

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

You can do that using key commands:

Project: Clip: Add single Exposure
Project: Clip: Delete Image
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Animaker

Post by Animaker »

Paul,
I'm not sure I understand "key commands". Are you talking about keyboard shortcuts ?

I'm sure this is all pretty obvious to you, but I'm still a newbie at this program and don't exactly have the lingo yet. I know there is a script for this because I downloaded it a few days ago and it worked fine. Exactly what I needed. I just can't find it again and somehow my TVP program lost the one I found.
Haugse animaker
Paul Fierlinger

Did the script have an icon(s) -- what did they look like?
What version of TVP are you on? Is it Mac or PC?
Yes, keyboard shortcuts. Press CTRL>K
In the right column find "Project" under which you should find the key assignments I listed. In the left column select two keys (or two combinations of keys) you would like to use and click on one. In the right top corner select "Assign" which will assign the command you had highlighted in the right column to the key you had selected in the left column. Repeat this with the other command and you will now be able to use these two keys to do what the script allowed you to do (which was most likely based on these two commands in the first place). If you want to take this one step further, you can open a New Tool Bar and assign those two commands to two buttons. I can explain to you how to do this after you'll answer my questions at the top, because each system and TVP version do this a little differently.
Paul
Paul Fierlinger

BTW, was the name of your lost script "MultiLayerInserte-Delete Frame"?
Paul
Animaker

Post by Animaker »

Paul

Thanks for the tip on linking the layers. It works fine and yes, I would like to make buttons out of these commands. So, here's the info you asked for. I'm working in TVP 10 professional version on a PC using system 7.
Haugse animaker
Paul Fierlinger

How to make custom buttons

LMB/RMB stand for left/right mouse click.

1. Main menu bar at top of TVP Interface>Windows>Custom Panels>New Tool Bar. This will create a new tool bar; it'll be small and you might have to look hard to find it.
2.RMB in empty space>Add Action. This will open the Edit Panel.
3. LMB in window that says "End">Set KeyStroke>Project>Clip>Add Single Exposure.

This button will now work but you need to make an icon:

1. Draw your icon about one square inch (size doesn't matter but not too large or too small) Draw it against a color field, unless you want the button to be dull gray (or you can skip painting a color field and add it in the CP where it says "A color" (meaning the color you have selected for your A pen.)
2.Main Panel>Cut Brush Icon>Custom Brush: Rectangle. A square, gray icon with "B" will appear
3.press SHIFT >hold down>use cross hairs to cut your icon as a perfect square.
4.RMB on your new button>Edit>LMB>Tool. Your cutout icon will now replace gray icon. Give your panel a name at the top. Press OK.

Repeat all of the above to create your second button (or any amount of buttons)

You must save your new panel; otherwise you might loose it again:

1. RMB in empty space of your new tool bar (aka Custom Panel; aka CP)
2. This Panel>Export as TVPX. A new box of that name will pop up.
3. Fill in at least the name and Save To (save to any place on your HD you know you will remember, but the best place is somewhere within your TVP software folder.)
4. Go back to #2 and rename "Tool bar" to the name you give your new Custom Panel. Under "WINDOWS" in menu bar at the top>Custom Panel you should find your new CP listed

If you ever loose your CP just go to where you saved it and click>drag it on top of your TVP interface. You can also e-mail this TVPX to anyone you wish to share it with.

Later you can explore/experiment with the Custom Panel to create more complex buttons by creating a combination of commands. There are many possibilities to choose from. For instance You might run out of unused keys on your keyboard. This is why the Keyboard Shortcuts Panel offers such unlikely combinations as "Ctrl Shift Page Down". It gives you a way to create custom buttons out of keyboard commands.
Paul
Animaker

Post by Animaker »

FANTASTIC. Everything works exactly as you laid it out. I'm off and running again. I'm grateful that you' have the time and inclination to help me with these little issues. Are you taking some time off after your last project or working on something new. I am very impressed by your films, btw.
Haugse animaker
Paul Fierlinger

Thanks and glad to be of help. Someone once had to explain this to me too and so it goes. Sandra and I are working on another feature length film, "Slocum at sea with himself" and we have about 80 minutes completed out of 120. It is slated for self distribution online.
Paul
Animaker

Post by Animaker »

Paul,
Wonderful. Look forward to seeing the new film. I like that it's going to be available online. With short films this seems to be the way to go. Some time ago I saw your film about growing up in various places in Europe. I've forgotten the name of it. Is it possible to rent or buy it online? I'd love to see it again.
Haugse animaker
Paul Fierlinger

That could be "Drawn From Memory" which is available here, directly from the thieving producer:
http://www.filmporium.com/product_info. ... cts_id=185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(he has yet to pay me a single dime from any DVD sales)
or it could be "Still Life with animated dogs" which is available on Hoopla.
Paul
Animaker

Post by Animaker »

Good. I just ordered a copy of Drawn from Memory. Look forward to seeing it again. Sorry you've had bad luck with them, but that's pretty typical from my experience in general. Thanks for the link.
Haugse animaker
Paul Fierlinger

but that's pretty typical from my experience in general
That it is, and this is why I am so passionate about what the Internet has to offer for the future of independent animators.
Paul