color picker

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Joost

color picker

Post by Joost »

In photoshop the color picker has two options:
-current layer
-sample all layers

In Tvpaint (as far as I know) the color picker only uses the sample all layers function. You can only pick the color you see on your monitor. But wouldn't it be handy to be able to pick the color of a layer, even when the transparency is set to 40 percent and it has a blending option, like the "current layer" function in Photoshop?

To get the right color now I have to:
-remember the transparency
-set the transparency back to 100 percent
-switch the blending option back to normal
-pick a color
-switch transparency back (and hopefullyI remembered it well)
-switch blending option back

I know I can also pick the right color in the little window in front of the layer, but most of the times it's too small...
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Re: color picker

Post by Joost »

I think I don't mean the color picker. But I don't know the right name of the tool.
I mean this one (in the keyboard shortcuts panel it is) :
color: pick

or keybord shortcut ;
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

But there is something nice in the way it works now too, which is what Sandra at times does when mixing colors: she tweaks the transparency levels of several layers and then picks the resulting color she is most satisfied with to use as a new color for her palette. The advantage of working with such layers is that you can hold on to them and re-tweak them at will at a later time. Another advantage is that you can always see at a glance which layers have the strongest or weakest presence and you can experiment with just one of them without throwing the whole mixture apart.
EDIT: Instead of remembering the transparency, you can type it in the layer's name. We do that with all our transparencies.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

In Tvpaint (as far as I know) the color picker only uses the sample all layers function. You can only pick the color you see on your monitor. But wouldn't it be handy to be able to pick the color of a layer, even when the transparency is set to 40 percent and it has a blending option, like the "current layer" function in Photoshop?
Interesting :)
Fabrice Debarge
Joost

Post by Joost »

But there is something nice in the way it works now too,
Yes of course! and it should stay the same way as it is now. What I mean is to ad an extra color pick option that is a copy of the "current layer" color pick option Photoshop has
EDIT: Instead of remembering the transparency, you can type it in the layer's name. We do that with all our transparencies.
That's an option, but still a lot more work if you compare it with the photoshop method...
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

That's an option, but still a lot more work if you compare it with the photoshop method...
I understand. Nevertheless a useful workaround until there's an improvement. :)
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Fabrice wrote:
Interesting :)
+1
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Yes we already thought about this, we keep it in mind ;).
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

See if this button does what you want: Picks the actual color from the current layer (ignoring variations in layer opacity or blending mode) and sets the APen to that color.

Trick one... the script uses the tv_PicColor command to make the user see an arrow to pick the color with, but the command's results are ignored. Instead, the X and Y coordinates of the cursor are captured and then the tv_GetPixelLayer command actually detects the color of the pixel ONLY on the CURRENT layer.

Trick two... also note that if you click somewhere on the layer where there is no color (RGBA = 0, a completely transparent pixel) then you want to keep the APen color set to what it was before.

Mostly, the script just automates the steps Joost already does(lets George do it).

Sven
Attachments
LayerColorPicker.tvpx
(81.5 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Joost

Post by Joost »

See if this button does what you want: Picks the actual color from the current layer (ignoring variations in layer opacity or blending mode) and sets the APen to that color.
Very smart tool. It's a little bit different compared to the photoshop version, but the results are the same. Thanks!
TVP Pro 11.7.1