Making shortcuts is unnecessary difficult

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Lukas

Making shortcuts is unnecessary difficult

Post by Lukas »

Right now if you 'search' for a function in the shortcut menu it makes some texts red, but you still have to search yourself:

It should really be simpler, here's a simple suggestion, just remove functions that have nothing to do with the searched text:

Also, when you hover the mouse over the fill bucket it says "FloodFill" but when you search for "FloodFill" in the shortcut menu, it gives you 0 hits... After looking and looking I found out the name in the shortcut menu is actually "Flood Fill". It's just confusing, there's plenty of other tools that are named weird "Transform" is called "Shape Transform Position" in the shortcut menu, why does it have 2 names? It makes creating shortcuts unnecessary difficult.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • MacBook Pro 2018 macOS Ventura 13.4.1 + PC Windows 10
  • Wacom Cintiq 27QHD + Wacom Intuos4
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
  • YouTube.com/@FrameOrder
Sewie

Re: Making shortcuts is unnecessary difficult

Post by Sewie »

Good point!
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

+1
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

yes, good idea.
Fabrice Debarge
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Lukas wrote: Also, when you hover the mouse over the fill bucket it says "FloodFill" but when you search for "FloodFill" in the shortcut menu, it gives you 0 hits... After looking and looking I found out the name in the shortcut menu is actually "Flood Fill". It's just confusing, there's plenty of other tools that are named weird "Transform" is called "Shape Transform Position" in the shortcut menu, why does it have 2 names? It makes creating shortcuts unnecessary difficult.
I think this is a very important point too.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Another search I'd find useful in the shortcut key editor would be a reciprocal color coding feature which would let you search a command in the right column and then have the key or keys to which it is already associated, be highlighted in the left column.

Sometimes I see a command that is color highlighted as having already been assigned (on my UI color palette, all assigned commands are changed from black to green) and I have to scroll through the entire shortcut key list to find the one (or more) keys to which that command is attached, especially annoying when using an unfamiliar shortcut key list...

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

I'd also like a different view at seeing my shortcuts.

Instead of having the keyboard key have a function. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense if a function could have a key assigned to it?

So instead of:

Code: Select all

B = Brush
E = Erase
Turn the list around and show:

Code: Select all

Brush = B
Erase = E
This would also make changing shortcuts easier.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

The shortcut key system in TVPaint is more sophisticated than that.

1. The commands assigned to shortcut keys can be concatenated permitting more complex operations performed with a single key stroke.
2. The same command can be assigned to more than one key, each concatenated with other commands for different results.
2. User-created custom panels with their custom buttons and scripts, let users infinitely extend what shortcut key actions can be defined.
3. Also, note that EACH ROOM In TVP Pro can have its own unique set of shortcut key definitions.

Your suggestion for a filtered search listing only the searched-for command(s) is an excellent idea and would make creating and editing shortcut keys much easier. :idea:

Perhaps another command search option could be offered that filters the shortcut key list on the left side only showing those keys to which the the searched-for command have already been assigned.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Joost

Post by Joost »

Example of keyboard shortcuts that are almost impossible to find if the names are spelled differently.
Sometimes it cost me almost half an hour to find the right keyboard shortcut...
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
marcelo.perin

Post by marcelo.perin »

+1
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
TVPaint Pro 10.0.14 64
Animark

Post by Animark »

+1

For me after years with TVPaint it is not so difficult to find what I want - but I really need to have an idea of what I am looking for and I have to be very creative to think about different possibilities of the name of a special function. With TVPaint 10 it became easier to find and assign the shortcuts. But yes, there is more to do :-).

For new users it must be very hard to find what they would like to have.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Okay, it's noted : we will be more careful about the names in the interface and in the keyboard configuration :)
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

I just installed TVPaint on a windows machine and loaded all my settings and I need to set new shortcuts for a lot of tools. Because there is no 'command' key on windows.

In other software, a shortcut which uses CTRL on windows, uses CMD on mac.

For example:
Undo on windows, Ctrl+Z
Undo on mac, Cmd+Z
Save on windows, Ctrl+S
Save on mac, Cmd+S
Save as on windows, Ctrl+Shift+S
Save as on mac, Cmd+Shift+S

I think it would be best if CMD (on mac) would just be the same as CTRL (on windows).

CTRL on mac should be the button not accesable on windows. It is not the mac version of the windows Ctrl button.

That way you can use the same configuration settings on different platforms.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo