Only show instance 'squares' when usefull.

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Lukas

Only show instance 'squares' when usefull.

Post by Lukas »

The instances squares are probably my favourite TVP update ever, but the 'squares' you can drag to make instances longer/shorter really clutter the interface. I've used TVP a lot in the past, and am now getting back into it and the interface is really hard on the eyes (too much information everywhere all the time).

Here's a simple mockup of an idea, if the squares would only show when the mouse is on the instance it would really clean up the timeline interface:
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • MacBook Pro 2018 macOS Ventura 13.4.1 + PC Windows 10
  • Wacom Cintiq 27QHD + Wacom Intuos4
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
  • YouTube.com/@FrameOrder
Léo
Site Admin

Re: Only show instance 'squares' when usefull.

Post by Léo »

Hello Lukas,

Theoretically, your idea is interesting and nice.
But in fact, in user experience it will be very unpleasant. Indeed, if we follow your idea, to catch a square you should be very precise, almost to the pixel.
If you will be one pixel after the square, you couldn't catch it because the square will have disapeared.

IMO, it is more convenient for all our users to have for each instances the little square :)
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 AMD Ryzen 7 7745HX with Radeon Graphics CPU @ 3.60 GHz,
32 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.3 and 12 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

There are other advantages to having it the way it is: When you want to zoom out just enough not to loose sight of the handles (I believe that is the proper name) it is easy when seeing them all. Further, just their presence on each frame instructs newcomers from the start to investigate and faster grasp the underlining features. And lastly, they clutter nothing and look pretty, reminiscence of sprocket holes (but these will never rip :) )making the sight that much more pleasing.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Léo wrote:to catch a square you should be very precise, almost to the pixel.
If you will be one pixel after the square, you couldn't catch it because the square will have disapeared.
I'm not sure if that's different from how it is now?

In the current situation, if I click 1 pixel next to the square, I can't catch it either.

(I'm not saying my suggestion is the best way, I just think showing all squares all the time makes the interface cluttered.) :)
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
Paul Fierlinger

Lukas wrote: makes the interface cluttered.) :)
Attractive. :|
Paul
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I never really thought about, the instance squares don't bother me. I would find it more visually distracting having them bubble in and out of existence as I moved my mouse around the interface.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Paul Fierlinger wrote: reminiscence of sprocket holes (but these will never rip :) )making the sight that much more pleasing.
Yes, I was thinking it reminded me of a length of film!
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:
Lukas wrote: makes the interface cluttered.) :)
Attractive. :|
How is this attractive?
idragosani wrote:I never really thought about, the instance squares don't bother me. I would find it more visually distracting having them bubble in and out of existence as I moved my mouse around the interface.
You're right, but there's many ways to do it. I'm just noticing it's quite hard on the eyes when getting back into TVP after a while. Too much information on the screen is never good. But the GUI has never really been TVP's prettiest side.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Lukas wrote:But the GUI has never really been TVP's prettiest side.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Paul Fierlinger

It depends on what your experiences are after spending hours of work in it. If you spend weeks living on the streets of Paris because you are an illegal alien, Paris isn't exactly a beautiful city to you.
Paul
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:It depends on what your experiences are after spending hours of work in it. If you spend weeks living on the streets of Paris because you are an illegal alien, Paris isn't exactly a beautiful city to you.
Don't get me wrong, I love working in TVPaint! There's nothing like it.

But the interface has been the same since how many years? Some parts feel like there hasn't put much thought in it, it's just the way it is because it evolved this way over the years. TVPaint has a very weird learning curve because of this. To me it's absolutely horrible to work in unless I spend at least half a day setting all my shortcuts exactly how I need them because most tools I need are barely accessible otherwise.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
Paul Fierlinger

But don't you see that TVP is indeed a complex program that does unusual, complex tasks for a profession in which no two people work the same way?
To me it's absolutely horrible to work in unless I spend at least half a day setting all my shortcuts exactly how I need them because most tools I need are barely accessible otherwise.
To me that sounds like a reasonable time to spend with any professional software, and particularly taking into consideration what I said above.

Go into any computer store's book section and you'll see entire shelves filled with books teaching just how to use Photoshop. In my township there's a night course explaining how Phoitoshop works, which has run for over twenty years now; always to sold out classes -- actually it has expanded into Photoshop for beginners, Photoshop One, and Photoshop Two. :mrgreen: And this for software that already comes with a set of superbly written manuals in several languages.
Paul
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

But with Photoshop, if I'd boot it on a fresh install, I can get to work right away. I'd only need some brushes, but everything else is set to go, because it's been thought trough.

Also, if someone needs my help, in photoshop I could get on their computer and show a few tricks. If I need to help someone on TVPaint and get on their computer, I'm just completely lost. Same happens when people use TVPaint on my computer. With photoshop, this is no problem.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
Paul Fierlinger

So what? This happens between Sandra and me all the time -- for that I made my own room on her computer. She paints what I've animated; I animate in a style no one other has worked with yet. If you looked at her GUI you might think hers is a completely different software than mine -- filled with a myriad of color palettes yet a simple pencil or any one of my many plugins not in sight. It's not a sewing machine.
Paul
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:So what? This happens between Sandra and me all the time -- for that I made my own room on her computer. She paints what I've animated; I animate in a style no one other has worked with yet. If you looked at her GUI you might think hers is a completely different software than mine -- filled with a myriad of color palettes yet a simple pencil or any one of my many plugins not in sight. It's not a sewing machine.
That's a great idea!

Is it possible to select a different location path for the other rooms? That would be great.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo