Sound conversion problems

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
MBThomas

Sound conversion problems

Post by MBThomas »

I'm not sure if anybody else has had this problem before, but whenever I import sound into TVPaint, the pitch is altered and the tempo is sped up. No mater which format I save the original audio file, it always end up sounding high pitched when I import it to TVPaint. Is there a way to fix this problem?
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Sound conversion problems

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

MBThomas wrote:I'm not sure if anybody else has had this problem before,
One sure way to find out is through "Search". I found this, but there may be more upon entering a variety of related words...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3495&p=47275&hilit ... han#p47275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
artfx

Post by artfx »

Windows or Mac? This sounds like a Mac thing.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

MBThomas wrote:I'm not sure if anybody else has had this problem before, but whenever I import sound into TVPaint, the pitch is altered and the tempo is sped up. No mater which format I save the original audio file, it always end up sounding high pitched when I import it to TVPaint. Is there a way to fix this problem?
Sounds like your audio files have a sampling rate that is lower than what you have TVPaint configured for, and they are getting transcoded to a higher sampling rate. Also check to see what your system audio is configured for. 44100 is probably best to set everywhere.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

On Mac, check Audio-MIDI-Setup. It tends to change the overall sampling rate when called from other programs.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
kisenberg

Post by kisenberg »

I am also experiencing sound conversion problems, which are grinding my production schedule to a halt.

My source audio has a sample rate of 48.00 kHz. When I set my Mac Audio-MIDI Built-In Output sample rate to 48 kHz, the soundtrack in TV Paint plays back at a faster than normal tempo, and therefore at a higher pitch. However, the sound appears to play back at normal pitch as an mov file. When I set the Audio-MIDI setup to 44.1 kHz, the soundtrack in TV Paint plays back at the normal pitch and tempo, and also plays normally in an mov.

I had read on this forum that the Audio-MIDI sample rate needed to match the sample rate of the soundtrack in TVP, but that is not my experience. Without having clarity, I cannot with confidence begin animating an entire music video. The risk is too great that the timing will be off, in the final animation. Further, I am trying to collaborate with another animator. We need to be confident that our timing will match each other's and the actual audio, inside TV Paint and when exported to Quicktime.

I need to know definitively what settings to use, on both computers and in TVP, to achieve consistency and accurate timing with the sound. If I can't quickly resolve this, I will need to consider another software application--our production schedule is too tight to allow for the chance of erroneous sound synch. I welcome any insight to solve the sound issue and get us back to production speed ASAP.

Many thanks for your help.

My system:
Mac OS 10.7.3
TV Paint Pro 10.0.18
TVP setting for sound sample rate: Did not affect the outcome--I tried both 44.1 and 48, and it had no determining effect. What did have an effect was the Audio MIDI sample rate.
kisenberg

Post by kisenberg »

Also, when I import my animatic into TVP (which has a sound track), even though I select "Import Audio," the audio does not play back in TVP.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Have you changed your framerate ? Does it appear in red in your remote (like this : 24 ! for example) ?
Have you changed the audio settings in the Preferences of TVPaint in order to force a the play of soundtracks in 48 KhZ ?
Léo
Site Admin

Post by Léo »

kisenberg wrote:Also, when I import my animatic into TVP (which has a sound track), even though I select "Import Audio," the audio does not play back in TVP.
Hi Kate,

What is the file format ? How is encoded the soundtrack ?
Please can you send us your soundtracks for testing purpose ? Posting some links would help, other people in the forums might check too.

Please make sure to keep all your informations here in the forum in this topic, we can't follow you if you write to several people at the same time through email, MP, contact form, etc ... :oops: :cry:
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 AMD Ryzen 7 7745HX with Radeon Graphics CPU @ 3.60 GHz,
32 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.3 and 12 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3
kisenberg

Post by kisenberg »

Elodie wrote:Have you changed your framerate ? Does it appear in red in your remote (like this : 24 ! for example) ?
Have you changed the audio settings in the Preferences of TVPaint in order to force a the play of soundtracks in 48 KhZ ?
Thank you for your reply, Elodie.

I checked the frame rate. It is 24 fps, and it does not appear in red.

I checked the audio settings in the Preferences. Whether I set the frame rate in TVP at 44.1 or 48, it did not affect playback; it still played back fast.

After I upgraded to TVP 10.5.1, it is now playing back too slowly. Again, I have checked all these settings and the problem with playback is not resolved.

I appreciate your help with this problem.
kisenberg

Post by kisenberg »

Léo wrote:
kisenberg wrote:Also, when I import my animatic into TVP (which has a sound track), even though I select "Import Audio," the audio does not play back in TVP.
Hi Kate,

What is the file format ? How is encoded the soundtrack ?
Please can you send us your soundtracks for testing purpose ? Posting some links would help, other people in the forums might check too.

Please make sure to keep all your informations here in the forum in this topic, we can't follow you if you write to several people at the same time through email, MP, contact form, etc ... :oops: :cry:
--
Hello Léo, thank you for your message.

The soundtrack is an mp3. It has a sample rate of 48 kHz. It was encoded with iTunes 10.7. I also tried with an AIFF file of the same song, with the same sample rate, and it behaved the same way as the mp3.

I had sent links to my TVP project file and soundtrack for testing purposes, via a more private contact form. I'd rather not post the link to my entire project on the public forum, as there are client nondisclosure considerations. However, I have created a TVP file that includes just the soundtrack, so you can see how it is playing back too slowly now. Here is a link to that TVP test file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9y2o8l8j9ujfm ... dtest.tvpp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link to the original soundtrack, to compare the way it sounds vs. the TVP playback of the imported file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkhq3ck71kfvc ... 2_1648.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sorry it has been hard to follow my messages. After I posted to the forum last week, I had not received a reply that solved the sound problem, so I thought I would try a PM and your contact form. TVP has a reputation for great customer service, and I appreciate your time and assistance.

Sincerely,
Kate
Mac OS 10.7.3
TV Paint Pro 10.5.1
64 bit
TVP sound sample rate: 48
Paul Fierlinger

I downloaded and opened the Project named Kisenberg-soundtest and it's empty. I se that it is 3840x2160 24fps, but just one layer with one white frame that stretches out across 160 frames and that's it. :(
Paul
kisenberg

Post by kisenberg »

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your message. It should be empty except for the sound track--do you hear the sound track?
Paul Fierlinger

I can't hear it nor see it. When you exported this, did you check "Save dependencies in the project" under the Project tab in the main menu bar?
Paul
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Paul: The TVP file seemed to have no sound when I opened it, but then I checked "Play sound in project" in the prefs and suddenly it was there.

kisenberg:
OK, on my machine everything runs smoothly. On 25 fps, the one of the bass drum occurs every 64 or 65 or 66 frames. This irregularity is normal for a live drummer.

Did you use the playback button of the remote control window/project window? Or did you just press W? Pressing W plays back the sound in little chunks and slower than normal.

Also in the prefs you can set the timeline counter display to timecode instead of frames. I did this and checked, the sound file is 2:56:16 long, in Audacity the file length is 2:56:12, 4 frames shorter - which is not noticable.
Last edited by slowtiger on 20 Aug 2013, 20:37, edited 2 times in total.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5