After selecting, I can`t do anyting in the selected area

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
koyi

After selecting, I can`t do anyting in the selected area

Post by koyi »

Hello Everyone,

I work with tvpaint 10 Pro, 32 bits on a Mac OSX 10.6.8

My problem is that when I use the selection tool as normal is not possible to do something in the area I've selected (draw, erase, allred floodfill etc. don't work). I figure out it is something that has to do with this stencil option, but when I disabled the stencil buttom then my selection is gone. And then when I deselect it (cmd + d ) the stencil icon keeps enabled and I can't draw or do something until I turn it off. The stencil icon on the layer is not activated.

It is strange that this happens in some documents because when I open other documents the selection tool works as normal (that means, you select something and you can apply diverse actions in the selected area).

It would be great if someone can help me solving this problem!

Thank you!!!
Paul Fierlinger

Re: After selecting, I can`t do anyting in the selected area

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Here's an example of how I use the free hand selection tool: If I need to resize just one part of a drawing, which happens often, such as the character's head, I draw the selection line around that area and then use the Transform tool to expand or contract that area. It never ceases to amaze me how little I need to use my pen after this is done.

"To clear the selection line I use the keyboard shortcut Shape Select: Clear All Stencil". This takes care of the stencil issue.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
koyi

Post by koyi »

Thank you very much for your answer Paul.

I also use the selection tool as you do, I know it's very useful, but the problem is that sometimes it doesn't work and I don't know why.
For example I draw the selection area around the head of a character and then I try to paint it allred with the floodfill tool (of the sketch panel) and suddenly doesn't work anymore.
If I open a new project and make a test it works normal, but if I try in the project I was working on, it doesn´t work anymore.

I have the feeling that Im not explaining as good as I would like, but Im sure that this is happening to many people. And maybe the solution is pretty simple.

I Would be grateful if someone can help me.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

As you are using a Mac OSX, why don't you use Quicktime to record your interface and show us what's going wrong in video ?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Fill in a selection:
- is the fill tool set to color?
- is it set to layer?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Soom

Post by Soom »

I think I know what is happening - we had this issue many times and we have figured it out: somewhere among all your layers, there is one (or more) layer that is marked as a stencil. When you use a transform tool, it automatically turns on the Stencil option, which, in it's turn, makes the "stenciled" layer also active and this prevents you to draw in all the areas that are not transparent on that particular layer. This usually happens by mistake and we already had discussions about the need to separate the Layer stencil function from the Selection stencil function - specifically to avoid this situation, that so many people encounter.
So, to solve this just click shortcut K - this will clear all stencils from all layers. If your shortcuts are reassigned and it doesn't work , you need to find Layer > Clear All Stencils in the keyboard shortcut configuration panel.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
marym

Post by marym »

Hi everyone! :)
I'm a newbie here, and just started working in TVPaint Pro 11 (love it!), but I had the same problem with the selection tool ... I was wondering if it's been re-vamped in the new version?
Still, I'm glad I found this thread ... now I know what to do :)

Mary
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Hello, welcome here !
I was wondering if it's been re-vamped in the new version?
No, it's still the same.
marym

Post by marym »

My fault - It's really all very easy to find, thanks! :mrgreen: