Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks and TVPaint Animation

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
levni

Re: OS X Mavericks

Post by levni »

Thierry wrote:TVPaint should work without issues with OS X Mavericks. It was working well with the different Developer Previews (except the first one).
look forward to updates
Sushio

Freezing/non responsive problems on Mac OS 10.9

Post by Sushio »

Hello all,

I joined a few months ago when I first bought TVP but haven't been able to use it due to heavy schedule at university in which we use Toon Boom Harmony (I'm studying animation) but I have finally got around to using TVP and I have run into a few issues regarding TVP becoming non responsive/freezing.

The first is when I go to edit - preferences - keyboard shortcuts. If i spend any amount of time longer than around 10 seconds in this panel editing shortcuts, whenever i exit and close the preferences tab TVP becomes non responsive and 9 times out of 10 will not fix itself. It doesn't happen though if i quickly change a shortcut and exit the preferences panel which I found quite strange.

The other is when i adjust the luminosity slider in the colour picker panel. If i adjust it around more than 50+/-points from its current position the program will become non responsive but usually pick itself back up and work again after around 20 seconds, but on a few occasions it has also not fixed itself causing me to have to force close the program and restart.

I have only begun using the program yesterday and these are the only issues that I am running into at the moment, but other than that I am very pleased with TVP overall :).

My current version of TVP is 10.5.2 (64 Bit Professional edition)
My current set up is an Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch hooked up to an iMac 27" 3.4GHz I7 with 1TB Fusion drive running OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), 16GB 1600mhz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

If anyone has got any ideas as to the issues it would really be appreciated as I'm totally loving TVP except for these few minor problems.

Thanks!

Dustin
Fabrice

Re: Freezing/non responsive problems on Mac OS 10.9

Post by Fabrice »

please can you try to download the 32 bit version and see if the same problems happen ?
also what is the version of you Wacom drivers ?
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Hello Dustin, thank you for your feedback. More and more people complains about lags using TVPaint and Marvericks.
I also experimented some lags myself, but on very heavy files.

Anyway, I notice that TVPaint is not the only lagging element with Marvericks. When I take a whole screen shot and want to watch it via the space bar, Marvericks needs now at least 3 seconds to open it, while it was just instantaneous before the upgrade.
Sushio

Post by Sushio »

Hi Elodie and Fabrice,

I updated the Wacom drivers (I feel stupid for not having done so before posting on here initially!) and that appears to have fixed the issue of the program becoming completely non responsive when adjusting the shortcuts and the luminosity. There is still a small amount of lag when editing the shortcuts (probably around 4-5 seconds at most I would say now) but the program is definitely working better following the driver update and I can certainly work with it now. Yes, as far as lagging overall in Mavericks I've had similar issues too with Preview opening pdfs/images it takes a a few seconds to open, where as the same images opened instantly on the previous OSX. If I run into any other issues regarding lagging etc I will install the 32 bit version of TVP and compare the two also.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Sushio wrote:the program becoming completely non responsive when adjusting the shortcuts
Hmm, no problems here neither on the 10.5.2 nor on the coming 10.5.3 (available soon).

Are you talking about the shortcuts in TVPaint or the Wacom shortcuts ?
Sushio wrote:and the luminosity.
What are you talking about ?
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks and TVPaint Animation

Post by Thierry »

A problematic issue has recently been discovered with OS X 10.9 Mavericks and TVPaint Animation.

If the "tvp animation 10 (demo/pro)/default" folder (corresponding to the default configuration) cannot be found in the "/Users/<username>/Library" folder (for example if you have never ran TVPaint Animation on your Mac (if you just bought an iMac / MacBook)), the 64-bits version of TVPaint Animation will not work and will crash when you try to launch it.

This issue has been resolved, but will be in the soon-to-come 10.5.4 version of TVPaint Animation.

In the meantime, there is an easy fix : you need to run the 32-bits version of TVPaint Animation first, and then the 64-bits version will work.
norcal1219

Post by norcal1219 »

Hello there! I just purchased the software and am new to the forums.
I am also running Mavericks and wasn't able to run the 64bit version of the software, even after right clicking on it and choosing "Open in 32bit." Each time I would get an Apple crash report. At that point, I uninstalled the program and then installed the non 64bit version and it is running fine so far. However does anyone know if there any way I can get the 64bit version to work?
Thanks!

Jason
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hello Jason !

What version of TVPaint are you currently using ? The latest one is 10.5.4, you should upgrade if that's not the case :)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Oh yes, you are probably using the version installed on the DVD, which is not the most recent version. This one was buggy and installing TVPaint Animation in 64 bit on Mavericks creates a crash because this old 64 bit version cannot create the "default configuration folder", necessary to open TVPaint. :roll:

Download the last update, it should fix the problem.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I just got a new Macbook Pro (15" Retina display) running OS 10.9 Mavericks. TVPaint 10.5.4 32bits and 64bits seem to be working fine for me , although in the 64bits version I sometimes notice a weird lag/refresh problem when moving a window. See the screen shot attached. When I move the panel it leaves a trail of "ghost images" behind it. Usually these ghost images disappear after a moment , but sometimes they stay on the screen until I adjust the size of the entire interface , then the ghost images disappear. A minor annoyance , but not a big problem . However , that's something that the development team should look at .
Ghost images trailing window.jpg
Ghost images trailing window.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 27100 times

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Indeed, I know about that, and the solution is to run TVPaint Animation on Low Resolution mode : cmd + i, then click on the "Low resolution mode" (don't really know the exact name, as I don't have a Retina here). It is not a Mavericks-related issue, but an issue with the Retina displays themselves (it would be the same with a Retina using Lion or Mountain Lion).

I also know how to fix it so you don't have to be on "Low Resolution mode", but applying it requires the use of an Apple function that appeared with 10.7 and works only on 10.7 or later, and as we still have a 10.6.8 compatibility, this is not an easy task.
So, for now, the only option is to use the low resolution mode.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote:Indeed, I know about that, and the solution is to run TVPaint Animation on Low Resolution mode : cmd + i, then click on the "Low resolution mode" (don't really know the exact name, as I don't have a Retina here). It is not a Mavericks-related issue, but an issue with the Retina displays themselves (it would be the same with a Retina using Lion or Mountain Lion).
Ok, thanks. Now I see it in the Get Info window.
TVP 64bit in Low Res.jpg
TVP 64bit in Low Res.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 27089 times
Thierry wrote:I also know how to fix it so you don't have to be on "Low Resolution mode", but applying it requires the use of an Apple function that appeared with 10.7 and works only on 10.7 or later, and as we still have a 10.6.8 compatibility, this is not an easy task.
So, for now, the only option is to use the low resolution mode.
I would be interested to know more about the other option to fix it without using Low Resolution mode.

As it is now the lagging ghost images are not a big problem , but as I said previously just a minor annoyance . I can get along with it , but if there's a fix which doesn't require starting up 64bits in Low Res mode I'd prefer to try that .

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote:I would be interested to know more about the other option to fix it without using Low Resolution mode.

As it is now the lagging ghost images are not a big problem , but as I said previously just a minor annoyance . I can get along with it , but if there's a fix which doesn't require starting up 64bits in Low Res mode I'd prefer to try that .

It's not something that the user can do, but something that must be done in TVPaint's code : using a function provided by Apple that only works on OS X 10.7 or later (as the Retina display screens appeared when 10.7 was the current OS). However, we still support OS X 10.6.8, so we can't use it.
We could abandon 10.6.8 support so the Retina issue would be solved very quickly, but there's too many people that still use this OS (it's like Windows XP, there is still a lot of people that use it)
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

A deletion requested post.
Last edited by ten_zero on 22 Oct 2014, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.