Preview playback question

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Andrew14

Preview playback question

Post by Andrew14 »

Hello! I'm trying to do the following:

Say I have one layer of finished animation (Layer A) on 1's, so 24 frames per second. I'm working on another layer of animation (Layer B) on 2's, so 12 frames a second and I plan on inbetweening this layer at a later stage so that it runs on 1's also. When I preview the animation it appears jittery, because Layer A is showing 2 frames for every 1 frame of Layer B's. Is it possible to preview the animation, and make Layer A drop every second frame so it appears to be on 2's? just to temporarily avoid the jitter while I work on Layer B!

Hope that makes sense... :/

Thanks!
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Preview playback question

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

You can't expect a clip to play back at two speeds so you have to decide which is it going to be; 24 or 12 fps. I'm curious though why you are working this way; would you mind explaining a bit further what your goal is; the end result once this project is completed?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

I dont think you can one layer skip every second frame when Playback . But why not do one of these thing
1)
On the layer still on 2.s Put in blank frames between every drawing. So there is a blank where there should be an inbetween. I have always done this when I have keyed out my Animation and maybe made my breakdown then I put in blanks where there should be unbetweens. I think it play back better.

2) duplicate the layer on ones. delete every second frame . disable the original layer. Playback your animation. Stop the playbvak Delete the duplicated layer enable the original layer.

3) Make a Command with a gorge script that do suggestion 2. Then you actually can do what you asked for.

Hope these quick ideas help. I would probaly ldo Idea 1) myself or maybe live with the jitter.

Kind Regrads
Mads
Andrew14

Post by Andrew14 »

Thanks for getting back to me!

@Paul the end goal is to have 2 layers of animation on 1's at 24fps. I've already completed one of the layers and while im building up the animation of the second layer I find it easier to work on 2's (less drawing!) and then inbetween that layer once the timing is finalized.

@madsjuul I was hoping I wouldn't have to go in and do in manually, but I think you might be right! option 2 will have the result that I want!
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

But Andrew, do you have a real good reason to want to animate in 1's? I ask because most of us animate at 12 FPS and export as 24 FPS. The export panel will automatically double each frame and adjust the camera move accordingly as well. But at times there are good reasons to have to go through single framing, such as during certain camera moves or when the action is super fast. There are also shortcuts for doubling frames or thinning out frames, if you are interested.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:But Andrew, do you have a real good reason to want to animate in 1's? I ask because most of us animate at 12 FPS and export as 24 FPS.
Well, following the files I had from different professional projects, I can say that more and more studios are working in 1's, especially in case of rapid action (by characters) or camera moves (to keep this fluid).
Andrew14

Post by Andrew14 »

Yep Paul I'd like to keep it on 1's for this project because I have lots of time to work on it and generally I prefer the look of animation on 1's! (+ a lot of the action is fast!)

Those shortcuts for doubling/thinning frames sound useful though, how would I do that?

Thanks!
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Select all your frames from a layer and use "+1" from the Animator panel, in the "exposure" part :
add1 expo.png
add1 expo.png (21.01 KiB) Viewed 22088 times
Andrew14

Post by Andrew14 »

thank you!
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

Because you can bind keyboard shortcuts to Custom Panel buttons, I have found it helpful for my setup to have +1 and -1 Exposure bound to the + and - keys on my number pad. That makes it quick to adjust timing with the keyboard only, since I frequently have difficulty on my tablet selecting the heads & tails of the instances.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

neonnoodle wrote:since I frequently have difficulty on my tablet selecting the heads & tails of the instances.
I must admit this is not easy on small screens :s