Pressure sensitivity on brush Opacity

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
gbball

Pressure sensitivity on brush Opacity

Post by gbball »

Bumping this thread since I think it's such an important thing to add and a pretty glaring omission.

I keep having to go back to Photoshop or other dedicated painting programs to render my paintings with any precision.

The airbrush tool alone would be phenomenal and very flexible with ability to change the opacity to be dependent on pressure or any other of the other options in the profile editor.

Right now, I am limited to using power which behaves similarly to flow in Photoshop. Which is essentially only controlling the rate at which paint comes out of my brush. The problem with this is that if I am continuously painting with pressure settings on, the opacity of the paint I am applying is gradually increasing, even if I'm not pressing very hard. So if I want to make a fairly transparent application of paint I lose control because I have to lay down my stroke quickly, or else the paint will come out heavier and more opaque than I want. Whereas if I could also apply pressure settings to opacity. I would be able to take my time with the stroke so long as I am being careful as to how hard I am pressing with my brush.

It makes a huge difference. And the result is that one of your brushes that could be the most powerful (Airbrush) ends up being rarely used by me due to this limitation. I often use the pen brush or general brush instead. Each of which provide other limitations.

Drawing wise, the tools are great, but painting and rendering wise, the inability to customize the opacity in this program makes it too clumsy to do precise painting. Don't get me wrong it is possible and I have been able to do some rendering. But it takes far longer than it would in Photoshop or Sai or Clipstudio.

Please please fix this! It seems like a minor change but it will make a world of difference. Please believe me. Power and Opacity can seem similar but the differences are key and they make a big difference in digital painting.

Thanks,

Gavin

**This copy pasted from a post I made in thread in the Technical Support Forum. Feature requests seems like a better place for it though.**

Original Thread http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php? ... 3&start=15
Mads Juul

Re: Pressure sensitivity on brush Opacity

Post by Mads Juul »

+1
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

+1
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

+1
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
gbball

Post by gbball »

Bumping this again,

Hi Elodie, any idea if this is something that is being looked at? Is it even possible? I know there's probably a long list of things that need to be looked at, but if this is easy please, please, please, pleaase! Please see if it can get implemented. I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks Elodie,

Gavin
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Actually, the standard brush needs opacity connected to pressure, too...
gbball

Post by gbball »

Bumping this.

Any word Elodie?
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

We're still working on.
gbball

Post by gbball »

Awesome!

So glad to hear it's being worked on! Any idea if it will make it into the next release?

Thanks again!

-G
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I don't think so, as it is much complex than we expected.
gbball

Post by gbball »

Bumping this thread.

I just purchased the upgrade to 11 pro from 10 pro, which was rather pricey with exchange to CAD, but I find myself regretting the fact that I didn't try out the trial first. For some reason, I was under the impression that this was being fixed/addressed, but upon opening the software, I found that it wasn't. Very disappointing. I have a couple more licenses to upgrade and I was considering the Android version as well. But since this was the main thing I was looking for to keep me from having to go into other apps to paint. I may hold off.

I noticed there is a sizable list of changes, which I will explore and see if they improve my workflow, but I must say, I am disappointed by this omission.

Edit: I noticed, Elodie, that you mentioned it wouldn't make it into the next release, did you mean ver. 11? If so, I was mistaken and I apologize. I hope you are still working on it and it will make it into 11.5
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

gbball wrote:Edit: I noticed, Elodie, that you mentioned it wouldn't make it into the next release, did you mean ver. 11?
Yes, I did.
We worked on applying pressure on opacity during several weeks in September, but results were not good and it definitely made no sense (contrary to Power or Size, Opacity is a max tolerance).

In other software, Opacity is named "Flow" and Power is named "Opacity". These software "can" use pressure on each parameter and even on both.
And actually, if you enable Pressure on Opacity or if you enable Pressure on Flow, the result is the same (see attached). If you enable pressure on both, then, you have a buggy result.
TestPressureOpacityFlow.png
TestPressureOpacityFlow.png (273.11 KiB) Viewed 37980 times
So, we dropped this improvement to focus on other ones.

Anyway, working on it allowed to :
• improve opacity on brushes
• we added opacity in text brush (so you have now pressure AND opacity)
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Elodie wrote:...

Anyway, working on it allowed to :
• improve opacity on brushes
Does that mean that in TVP11 the brush/drawing engine has been improved, because I thought I noticed that? It was always great but it feels a bit more responsive now, I think...
Or perhaps that's because of the new options in the Smooth Settings...?
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Working on Opacity & Pressure stuff allowed us to improve the code on these parts and make it quite better and clearer than before. It was not obvious enough to be in the "what's new" page, but the fact you can actually feel it means we worked well !
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

You certainly have.
:D