'TV Paint has stopped working' error [Solved]

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
chrisheadrick

'TV Paint has stopped working' error [Solved]

Post by chrisheadrick »

Turned on my old desktop pc, hooked it up to my Cintiq and tried to run TV Paint and I get this error over and over: 'TV Paint has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.'

It's an old computer, so I'm running TV Paint 9 on Windows 7.

Searching online, it seems that this is a problem Windows 7 can have with various programs…followed a YouTube tutorial which instructed me to turn off Data Execution Prevention in Properties for TV Paint…….but no effect.

In the video, it shows the user selecting the '.exe' file for TV Paint…….I can't find that, but choose the launch icon for the program instead. Am I choosing the wrong file to put on the 'no DEP' list?

Please help! I know my OS and TVP versions are old, but honestly I'd just like these versions to work without having to spend time upgrading everything.

Thanks! C
Elodie

Re: 'TV Paint has stopped working' error

Post by Elodie »

Files extensions (.jpg, .exe, .png, etc...) are not displayed by default (you must check some preferences).

But however, such a thing has never been necessary with tvpaint 9 and windows 7.

Btw, what is your tvpaint version ? First, make sure you are using 9.5.21.
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

For a while now I have been getting this error almost every time I try to open TVpaint. The result is that I currently can't use the program.
My TVpaint 10 standard software is 32bit and I have been running it on Windows 7 64 bit for 2 years without any problems.
Until a couple of months ago I did not have this problem. I don't know what is causing this problem now.
Sometimes when the program does not want to open I am able to use a workaround - I go to an older project and open it directly, but this does not always work.
Today I upgraded to Windows10, hoping that would fix the issue, but unfortunately the issue persists.

I would appreciate any helpful ideas. Thanks!
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Try to reset your configuration & upgrade (or downgrade !) your Wacom drivers.
Fabrice Debarge
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

Thanks Fabrice! That worked.

For future reference - here are the steps of what I did:

uninstall the wacom driver
restart
open TVpaint
backup (export) mu custom panels with my custom brushes
edit/preferences/Startup tab/
dropdown : start up panel
close TVpaint
open TVpaint, now instead of directly opening with last project settings it opens only the start up panel
here I could reset the configuration
test TVpaint without Cintiq
get latest wacom driver and install it
test TVpaint, here TVpaint closed down again with the same error when I made TVpaint go full screen
re-open TVpaint, repeat the steps to reset configuration
now it seems to work fine
re-import my custom panels
try out full screen
so far so good
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ok cool 8)
Fabrice Debarge