clip duration and camera movement

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Jerome Boulbes

clip duration and camera movement

Post by Jerome Boulbes »

Hello everyone

I am trying do adjust the duration of a clip (in the story board / project window) in V11/pro . It 's a single image (a large background) on a single layer, with a camera movement.
I am trying to find the balance between the duration and the speed of the movement.

The way I do it is that I change the duration of the clip in the project window, then the duration of the layer in the timeline, then back to project to check, back again to timeline and so on.

It is a bit tedious, considering there are many similar shots.

My understanding is that the camera movement is tied to the layer duration, and not the clip duration.
Is there a faster way ? Like automatically have the layer duration set to the clip duration ? or have the camera movement setup to the clip duration ?

thanks

Jerome
Elodie

Re: clip duration and camera movement

Post by Elodie »

Hi Jérôme !

Sadly, that's the only way to add a camera move :
When you stretch a drawing in the storyboard (project tab), you actually change the mark out. And since your drawing was created in a layer using a "hold" post behaviour", that's why your drawing will last a certain amount of time.
However, camera moves (and soundtrack) can be displayed only when there are frames for real. That's why you have to stretch the layer to get a camera move.

I understand it is tedious, but it's something quite old in the inner code. But maybe we could think about a George script that automatically stretch current layer to the mark out. Would it be helpful ?
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Elodie wrote:But maybe we could think about a George script that automatically stretch current layer to the mark out. Would it be helpful ?
Should be doable quite easily.
Jerome Boulbes

Post by Jerome Boulbes »

Thanks !

I just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed some useful tool.

A George script would be helpful and appreciated, but that is not that important - I mean, if that is a lot of work.

(BTW, I haven't checked George yet. That could be a good practical learning exercise !)
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Here is a custom panel containing a button that stretches the current layer to the Mark Out value.

Code: Select all

tv_LayerCurrentID //getting current layer ID
currentLayer = result

tv_MarkOut	//getting clip markout
PARSE result frame type

tv_LayerInfo
PARSE result layerDisplay layerPosition layerOpacity layerName layerType layerStart layerEnd layerPrelighttable layerPostlighttable layerSelection

duration = frame - layerEnd
tv_LayerStretch currentLayer "END" duration "EXPOSURE"
Attachments
stretch.tvpx
(5 KiB) Downloaded 795 times
Jerome Boulbes

Post by Jerome Boulbes »

Thanks !

EDIT : actually it works when the new duration is longer, but not when it's shorter than original duration.

(edited original message : But it doesn't work for me, or I didn't understood how to use it. I have downloaded the file and opened it in TVP via the Customs panels.
Then I changed the clip duration in"project", clicked the button, both while in "project" or "clip timeline" but nothing happens.)
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Jerome Boulbes wrote:(edited original message : But it doesn't work for me, or I didn't understood how to use it. I have downloaded the file and opened it in TVP via the Customs panels.
Then I changed the clip duration in"project", clicked the button, both while in "project" or "clip timeline" but nothing happens.)
You need to change the mark-out value and not clip duration :
markout.png
markout.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 17658 times
Jerome Boulbes wrote:not when it's shorter than original duration.
When the markout value is shorter than the original duration, it's trickier : should it cut the images or shrink ?
Jerome Boulbes

Post by Jerome Boulbes »

Thanks a lot !
Thierry wrote: When the markout value is shorter than the original duration, it's trickier : should it cut the images or shrink ?
In my case, it would be shrinking (assuming this doesn't create hundreds of instances, but shrinks the few existing one proportionally)
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Jerome Boulbes wrote:In my case, it would be shrinking (assuming this doesn't create hundreds of instances, but shrinks the few existing one proportionally)
Okay, I'll update the script as soon as I can !