Preserving white line

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Janet Perlman

Preserving white line

Post by Janet Perlman »

I would like to animate using a white line. Does anyone know of a way to make a colour eraser that does not erase the white line? Even when I use black from the sketch panel it erases the edges of the white line. If I can't find one then I will have to animate with a black line in order to use the sketch panel, but I would rather not.
Janet Perlman

Re: Preserving white line

Post by Janet Perlman »

Actually I think my question is answered, as I read more closely the thread about creating a custom eraser. It seems like it is not possible, but if you have ideas, let me know. Thanks.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Could you post an image ? I must admit I don't understand precisely what you want :s
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

/Users/janetperlman/Desktop/Image 1.jpg
/Users/janetperlman/Desktop/Image 2.jpg

The first image uses black from the sketch panel. The second is where I erased the black, which leaves a black edge to my white line. If I use other colors, the while line also disappears completely. I see that if I use a simple pen with no paper texture and a clean edge, this does not happen.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I had the opportunity to animate with white lines before, I used these two approaches:

1. Animate in blue or whatever on one layer, do the white line on another.
2. Animate in blue and black in the same layer, when finished, just color all lines white.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

That's a good solution, Slowtiger, but I want to do the animation seeing the final effect as white on black, and also to correct on the same level, that is, use the full advantages of the sketch panel. But yes, a workaround is probably necessary.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I wonder if we could get this with a layer in a certain blend mode on top? Ah yes:

Animate with black lines. Create a layer on top, fill it with white, set it to "difference" and hold, and switch it on to control your artwork with white lines.
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

I tried that, but it makes the black background white as well, which means I can't see anything. I can't see the sketch pens either. I can reduce the opacity of the black, but the sketch pen lines still aren't visible. I can animate the whole thing in black and then change the colour, but that is what I would rather not do. I'm sticking with the corrections on a separate level for now.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Switch off the black background? You would do that anyway if you animate with black lines.
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

What I am trying to do is animate with white lines. Because the effect is different, and I am playing with the transparency of the line. Black lines are not a problem. I might just do it in black and change to white later.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Maybe you could first show us what you want to achieve ?

Please use the feature of the forum to upload images, do not use directories from you computer.
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

I don't see a way to post two images at once. This first image uses black from the sketch panel.
Attachments
Image 1.jpg
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

This image is where I erased the black, which leaves a black edge to my white line. If I use other colors, the white line also disappears completely. I see that if I use a simple pen with no texture and a cleaner edge, this does not happen.
Attachments
Image 2.jpg
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Changing the drawing mode "color" to "behind" will allow you to paint with black lines, but not above white lines. Isn't it what you are looking for ?
Janet Perlman

Post by Janet Perlman »

Actually the drawing mode is alpha stamp. What concerns me is the tiny black outline around the white line that appears when I erase. Actually, I don't know why it is that when I choose colour for this brush, the colour is always green, no matter what color I select. Here is the brush.
Attachments
test brush.tvpx
(144 KiB) Downloaded 825 times