Straight eraser lines Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Simon Edmondson

Straight eraser lines

Post by Simon Edmondson »

Is it possible to make straight eraser lines or is there another way to cut out areas ?

I have some figures I need to composite into a scene but I need to erase or cut out the sections which overlap with the furniture.
I have been doing it painfully slowly by using the eraser tool and trying to carefully follow the furniture contours. Its not only slow but results in slightly wobbly lines that become more noticeable with playback. A 'clean' cut would be preferable, if possible?
simon
o0Ampy0o

Re: Straight erraser lines

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Shift forces the eraser to adhere to a straight line parallel to the interface borders. I don't know of a way to get straight angles on the fly. You can specify an angle degree so the line will retain that angle when deviating from angles that are parallel to the interface borders. I do not see a way to get a crisp edge with the eraser though.

The Polygon Selection Tool seems to be the way to go for straight lines. It will hold all angles on the fly. You can specify crisp to soft edges. It will cut or copy.

But I am quite new to TVPaint so hopefully other people will know a way.
Last edited by o0Ampy0o on 13 Feb 2017, 01:04, edited 2 times in total.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
meslin

Post by meslin »

If the exact region is the same between frames, hit "Enter" to reapply the previous stroke. If it's the same angle, but not the same exact area, a guideline set to Line Angle will clamp the erased lines to a predetermined angle.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Simon Edmondson wrote:Is it possible to make straight eraser lines or is there another way to cut out areas ?
You can use the Bezier Selection or B-Spline Selection tool to very precisely define areas to be erased (deleted) ... use the points to select around the area to be erased , hit Enter , then Delete .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

A different approach you might experiment with is to use the furniture layer as a stencil which can be set to "inverted mask", protecting everything EXCEPT the area on the figure layer you want to erase...

And don't forget that the Right Mouse Button (which used normally will turn the brush to an eraser) can be used in the stencil mode, to "unerase" parts of your figure where you might erase too much...

The 3 way toggle for setting/inverting/removing the stencil is the last dot in the layer header.
Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Elodie

Re: Straight eraser lines

Post by Elodie »

You can also use filled shapes like filled rectangle, but change the drawing mode "colour" to "erase" .
Simon Edmondson

Re: Straight eraser lines

Post by Simon Edmondson »

Thank you very much for all your replies I shall try them straight away.
regards
simon