Painting questions

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ten_zero

Re: Painting questions

Post by ten_zero »

An interval post. :)
Jet wrote: I think the way I work is called posterization or monochromatic. It's because I studied Japanese animation techniques instead of western techniques, I only learned western techniques much later and found they were much less efficient. Unfortunately what I learned from Japan didn't translate well in the US/EU, explaining the Japanese techniques can be quite difficult and a hard sell. :mrgreen:
It is a very easy.
US/EU kids animation shadow painting is Artistic or "scientific true shadow", and Japanim shading from Impressionists "trompe l'oeil / trick of the eye" shading.
I can introduce by some plastic model "painting" technique images.
Spoiler : including Japanim/Canadian and Japanese Video game trailer :
Before Japanim shading
And After Japanim shading simulate paint
In 3DCG video game you can compare "toonshading gap" between Ubisoft (Canada/the Occident) and Ark Systems (Japan/the Orient) game.

Last edited by ten_zero on 18 Apr 2016, 04:51, edited 2 times in total.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You can also combine the Library + the image guide. What's interesting with that feature, is that you will use the model sheets you need on a specific project (whereas the palette keeps its content for any projects). Plus you can display several models at the same time.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Great! Did not notice that lock option there. Only problem is that for me, it remains highlighted all the time. Clicking on it does lock the picture, but I have no way of telling if it is locked or unlocked because the lock icon remains identical either way.

Elodie, can you please explain what you mean by combining the Library and the image guide? The way you describe it sounds very useful, but I don't understand how to do it. Also, while you are here, can you explain the option, "new mixer from image" as neither myself or DT get what it does. Thanks!
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:You can also combine the Library + the image guide. What's interesting with that feature, is that you will use the model sheets you need on a specific project (whereas the palette keeps its content for any projects). Plus you can display several models at the same time.
I forgot to mention the Image Library. From habit I load the Color Model in the Color Panel > Mixer , but Image Library is a good option .
Color Model in the Image Library.jpg
Guidelines>Support>Image>Library.jpg
David_Fine wrote:Great! Did not notice that lock option there. Only problem is that for me, it remains highlighted all the time. Clicking on it does lock the picture, but I have no way of telling if it is locked or unlocked because the lock icon remains identical either way.
That's odd ... I can click the lock on and off for the Mixer panel. I'm also on Mac , so it's not a Windows vs. Mac issue.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

David_Fine wrote:Great! Did not notice that lock option there. Only problem is that for me, it remains highlighted all the time. Clicking on it does lock the picture, but I have no way of telling if it is locked or unlocked because the lock icon remains identical either way.

Elodie, can you please explain what you mean by combining the Library and the image guide? The way you describe it sounds very useful, but I don't understand how to do it. Also, while you are here, can you explain the option, "new mixer from image" as neither myself or DT get what it does. Thanks!
Here is a quick record :
guide-library.mp4
(9.87 MiB) Downloaded 838 times
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

That is very interesting. So the image is placed virtually, but not really there and you can turn it on an off using the Guidelines panel. This is great and thank you for the video too, Elodie. I have learned so much from this thread. Really appreciate all the great feedback. What would I do without this forum??

By the way, DT, the issue with the lock icon colour was my fault because I designed my own interface and accidentally had the same colour for both Gadget Stat and Gadget Stat Selected, so I fixed that.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You're welcome, I'm glad to read that I've been helpful :)

It's always so instructive to se how other people work. This forum is useful, both for our users and our crew !