TVP 9.0 -- a curious non-sighting

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Peter Wassink

Re: TVP 9.0 -- a curious non-sighting

Post by Peter Wassink »

Sierra K Rose wrote:Be careful with this offer: I may be in Paris in the Spring and take you up on it. :wink:
I love Paris in the springtime
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Sierra K Rose wrote:Be careful with this offer: I may be in Paris in the Spring and take you up on it. :wink:
don't worry, Spring Beers (March beer, "Märzen" in german), are one of the finest . 8)
Last edited by ZigOtto on 25 Jun 2008, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I'll be there in April. Gaumont just got the foreign rights to Tulip and they want me to direct the French dubbing in April. Let's meet up and I'll watch you drink beer.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

o.k. I'll have Genmaicha or Matcha with me . :mrgreen:

Klaus Hoefs wrote:o.k. I'll have Genmaicha or Matcha with me . :mrgreen:
http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/matcha-genmaicha.html :shock:
Paul
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

Yes, they are no names of girls. I am guessing you know more than me about green tea, although I was jobbing years in that branch of trade (long ago).
There is also Matcha-chocolate available:

How does it probably taste ?

Post by Sierra Rose »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:I'll be there in April. Gaumont just got the foreign rights to Tulip and they want me to direct the French dubbing in April. Let's meet up and I'll watch you drink beer.
I'll also just watch because I just lost millions of pounds and don't intend to let this trip to Europe put them back on by too much eating and drinking. :(
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

forty-five minutes in TVP 9 Demo and 8.6 already feels klunky. Sheesh.

Sven
metalusion

Post by metalusion »

ZigOtto wrote:
metalusion wrote: ... if it were a year or even just more than 6 or 7 months i could stomach it, but 2!
a little page of history (I'm talking of the main core developpement here, not the plugins item) :

[EDIT by TVP Team] first Mirage release : 2003
- Mirage last release ... may 2005
- TVPA : 1rst Public Release ... may 2006
TVPA Pro : developpement started in August 2006
- TVPA Pro* (v8.0) 1rst public release ... Dec. 2006 (*Mirage successor)
400th real users enregistred : jan. 2007 (spams not taken in account here ...) :wink:
after minor free updates, (v8.1, v8.2, v8.3), ...
- TVPA Pro v.8.5, introducing the new Instance Engine in the timeline ... free update as well,
800th real users enregistred : june 2008
- TVPA v.9.0 (Layers Blending modes, multiple soundtracks, Rooms, Timeline notes, ...and much more):
1rst Public Release june 2008 ,

so, 18 months have passed between the coming out of v8.x and v9.x,
I think it's quite a reasonnable delay for "commercial" releases schedule.

here, in Paris, when I buy a subway ticket, it costs me €1,50,
when I use it to cross all the city (about 15 stations), I don't find it so expensive,
but when I use it just for one station travelling, I feel like been done ...
Obviously, you have taken the v8.x train belatedly,
(Bauhaus cencorship politcy is certaintly to be blamed, but it wasn't so dificult
to be aware of tvpaint developpement stuff for anyone who wanted to be ...),
some others ex-mirage users, having switched from Mirage to tvpaint long ago,
would protest if they had to pay more than the fresh new-comings (legitimately, I think).
:)
i guess my point was i upgraded my mirage to tvp8.6pro 1 month ago for 600.00 it is one month later and i have to spend 400.00 more to keep current

if it were a version of photoshop cs2 bought a month from cs3 release i would get the upgrade free.
metalusion

Post by metalusion »

Svengali wrote:forty-five minutes in TVP 9 Demo and 8.6 already feels klunky. Sheesh.

Sven

forty five minutes is about how long i've used 8.6 since i bought it.
i'm a bit saddened by the fact that i was one of the biggest mirage cheerleaders around convincing people left and right into using it.
i've introduced it to 3 companies where i've worked and they have bought multiple licences each.

went as far as beta testing for bauhaus and created the "salon brushes" for them (with help from steve)

today i seem to only be complaining.

i guess it's not the best way to begin a relationship but i guess it's my bad luck to buy into this program when i did.

if i think about this much more i'm going to go insane.
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

metalusion wrote:forty five minutes is about how long i've used 8.6 since i bought it.
45 minutes in one months isn't too much. A friend explained it to me: if working a whole day with that tool it counts easy to 150 hours a month. So for the pros there is no reason to hesitate.
On another hand if someone is going with a serious train hobby for a related time (some really do !) you have to pay much more and even playing tennis in a club at Rothenbaum is much more. So I think my friend was right with this points.
I think you can also take into account that with TVPpro will be no update in July :) ( or the next months) which has to be paid. So there will be maintenance for some time.

Post by hisko »

metalusion wrote:
Svengali wrote:forty-five minutes in TVP 9 Demo and 8.6 already feels klunky. Sheesh.

Sven

forty five minutes is about how long i've used 8.6 since i bought it.
i'm a bit saddened by the fact that i was one of the biggest mirage cheerleaders around convincing people left and right into using it.
i've introduced it to 3 companies where i've worked and they have bought multiple licences each.

went as far as beta testing for bauhaus and created the "salon brushes" for them (with help from steve)

today i seem to only be complaining.

i guess it's not the best way to begin a relationship but i guess it's my bad luck to buy into this program when i did.

if i think about this much more i'm going to go insane.
It's a pity, all this money......
But to put it a little bit in perspective, I paid 3.500 euro's (approximately 3.500 dollars then, not anymore since the decline of the dollar) for my first version of CTP animation software 8 years ago, and it didn't come close to the possibilities of TVPaint (only the camera was better). Also around that time Toonz and Animo costed about 20.000 euro (20.000 dollar) each.
Still, I understand your complains. It's the short span between your updates that feels bad.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

metalusion wrote:... i'm still using mirage for everyday work because that's what we all use there.
metalusion wrote:forty five minutes is about how long i've used 8.6 since i bought it.
something inconsistent in your purposes :
45 mn for a month ... :?: and you are supposed to be a professional working everyday on Mirage/TVPaint ???
so my calculator tells me you are working less than 10mn a week ! :roll:
geez... we are very hard-workers here in France with our legal 35h/week !!! :)
metalusion wrote:... i will not be upgrading again so soon.
wise resolution !
for sure, you can wait Christmas 2008 for upgrading to the v9, there's often a "special offer"
in the preceding weeks, so maybe you will do a good bargain in this period ...
at your own working tempo, you shouldn't feel any urgency for an immediate upgrade,
you can stay and work comfortably with 8.5 for 6 or 7 months more, v8.5 is still fine to work with,
and very stable, indeed. 8)

... and don't hesitated to show us what you're working on in the Animation section of this forum,
you make me very curious now. :)
Paul Fierlinger

I once had a film studio with an Oxberry animation stand which cost $ 50,000, a Cinemonte 10 plate editing table, $ 30,000 and an 8 track sound studio with a mixing board, wall mounted microphone outlets, 5 16 mm tape recorders etc., probably $ 60,000 (I can't remember anymore), all these machines needed constant maintenance, plus I had constant film and tape and lab costs, and delivery costs across states and sometimes countries every week, the cost of renting space for all that equipment -- the price of production was huge. I worked like that for almost forty years. Yet I managed to squeeze out a profit.

Now I have the cost of two or three pieces of software (Vegas and TVP $ 600 each, Directory OPUS $ 80), all my maintenance consists of some software updates once in a couple of years, my computer hardware needs a bit of updating about once a year, all my delivery costs across states and countries is over cable broadband, I collect rent for the space I used to have my studio in, and that's about it.

So what is there to complain about? The enormous amount of competition coming from people who can afford to have the kind of studios I used to have contained in their laptops or a corner of their apartments on a couple of home computers (see "my work place" thread) and maintain day jobs so they can beat my prices with ridiculously low bids.

In Philadelphia, the 4th or 5th largest city in the U.S. I had only two competitors in the old days. Now there are hundreds of home studios in my district alone, plus a plethora of one man, in house production "studios" within add agencies and offices of clients I used to service but who don't even remember me anymore.

Yet, I also have the entire world with its vast network of globally connected markets for my service range.

So I'm not complaining about anything.
Paul
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Whenever you describe your old studio, Paul, it takes my breath away. I wouldn't ever have been able to afford to do this work back then, if I could get the know-how. So much of my learning has been at my fingertips over the Internet besides all of the glorious advantages of having a studio fit into a corner of my living room.

I've cost myself money by investing in things I found later I didn't really need because I hadn't learned better yet. But I've chalked that up to "student fees". What would it have cost me to go to art school? So now that I know what I do need, it seems obvious to just get it and be glad it's available.

Before the TVPaint/Bauhaus resolution, we were looking at a dead end version of Mirage. These updated tools are like gold to me.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro