Quicktime : the dying and abandonned file format

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
thaz

Re: No Quicktime Codec Options Available - OSX 10.8.5

Post by thaz »

Hello

Well that is stupid, thank you for your answer. What codec would you suggest then on 64bit for a high quality output to continue working with an video program like premiere or final cut?
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Export in TVPaint internal AVI codec. RVB without compression.
It works on all Platforms (Linux, Mac, Windows, Android), and can be compressed after by any other third-party software. (even quicktime player Pro)
But beware Quicktime, it changes the gamma of the colors, whatever you save ... :?
Fabrice Debarge
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

But beware Quicktime, it changes the gamma of the colors, whatever you save ... :?
I use PNG codec within QT (millions+ colours) and never experienced any colour changes. Imported PNG images as well as QT movies always match the original colours in TVP as well as in AS or PS.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
thaz

Post by thaz »

Hello, I know about the gamma problems and I found solutions for it already.
I exported it now as AVI (internal) with RGB, but only VLC seem to be able to play it. When I import it to Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 the file is just all black.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

slowtiger wrote:
I use PNG codec within QT (millions+ colours) and never experienced any colour changes. Imported PNG images as well as QT movies always match the original colours in TVP as well as in AS or PS.
you are right, I didn't mention it was Quicktime with H264 codec.
When I import it to Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 the file is just all black.
Did you check the "backgorund" box ?
Fabrice Debarge
thaz

Post by thaz »

Yes its checked.
Premiere is just unable to read this .avi I suppose. Also the filesize gets gigantic very fast.
I've been using the QT Apple ProRes4444 Codec with automatic gamma correction and that worked great so far.
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Can you try with the other RGBA, YUV and Premultiply/not premultiply options ? Always the same ?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

How does the video look in Quicktime player? My guess is that Premiere can't open anything which is outside of Quicktime's abilities.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
thaz

Post by thaz »

I tried all .avi variations that TVPaint can output and none of them work. Neither with quicktime player or with Premiere Pro. I suppose I would need to download new codec options to make it work? I have a lot of other .avi files on my mac and they all work. However, I would prefer to do it over .mov anyway. It's just stupid that I would have to go back to the 32 bit version just to have this export options back. But if this is the only solution I may have to do this.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

thaz wrote:It's just stupid that I would have to go back to the 32 bit version just to have this export options back. But if this is the only solution I may have to do this.
Good luck to find the Apple's complaints department :roll:
Soom

Post by Soom »

Elodie wrote:Apple does not support Quicktime on 64 bit software.
So, we had to use a different library to allow our users to use the .mov video file format (which is, in my opinion, not the best video file format at all). That's why the options proposed there are different from what you know.
If you do wand to use the QT codec, you must install the 32 bit version of TVPaint Animation.
As far as I've read, Apple will get rid of QuickTime support in some unclear future in favor of some more modern encoding system. Don't now what this will mean for us...
I actually do like QuickTime, especially when working on a Mac - I work with it most of my professional life (even on Windows). But maybe it's just a matter of being used to something...
Fabrice wrote:
slowtiger wrote:
you are right, I didn't mention it was Quicktime with H264 codec.
When I import it to Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 the file is just all black.
Did you check the "backgorund" box ?
Just use the X264 codec instead - it will fix all the gamma problems and encode a perfect H.264 video: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/x26 ... _codec.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
artfx

Post by artfx »

Soom wrote: I actually do like QuickTime, especially when working on a Mac - I work with it most of my professional life (even on Windows). But maybe it's just a matter of being used to something...
There's more to it than that. It's just plain easy, especially on a Mac. Properly organized, you can have instant access to your QT in Final Cut, Garage Band, iWeb and many others, add to it, take away from it, play with it, and t just goes on and on. I haven't found a faster or easier way to work yet.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
schwarzgrau

Re: TVP should save the user's Quicktime Export settings

Post by schwarzgrau »

Sorry to bump this again. It would be nice if at least the framerate would get used from the project settings.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Quicktime is a dying video format, killed by its own creator.

You should better use another file format :)
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

I guess you're right and probably the Quicktime could die in a few years. But at the moment Proress422 as interchangeable codec and h264 for web, are still the first choice by a lot of professionals, especially if your work on OSX.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM