Please help with my cat animation FX Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
holyax

Please help with my cat animation FX

Post by holyax »

Hi everyone,

I have a few frames with the cat outlines, and I would like to know how I can do something like in this pixar cartoon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXh8t6iqKhc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am guessing I need to use the FX feature, but I am not sure how it all works. Do I need to have another project open with the night sky? Or it can be all in one project?

thank you so much in advance!!
D.T. Nethery

Re: Please help with my cat animation FX

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Here is how I would duplicate the look of "Day & Night" that you referenced:

The cat layer is line art. Fill it with BLACK in the area around the cat (so the cat interior is clear).

Have your starry night background on a layer underneath the cat line art. (this background could also be a separate project , referenced as Source layer in the KeyFramer FX tool in the FX Stack)
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 5.07.42 PM.jpg
(click image to see it larger)

------

EDIT: Elodie mentioned the gif image above is not showing . If it's not showing up for you I'm attaching the gif file below. (you will have to click on it or download it to view) .

Attachments
Cat outline with Starry Sky.gif
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 17 Aug 2016, 23:36, edited 4 times in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

David, I cannot see the 2nd image :)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:David, I cannot see the 2nd image :)
Does it show now ? It's on my Google Photos . I adjusted the sharing permission of the image , so it should be public now. (I hate the new Google Photos ... I miss my Picasa Web Albums ... Google Photos makes it difficult to know if images are "shared" or not ...)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Much better, thank you :)
holyax

Post by holyax »

D.T. Nethery wrote:Here is how I would duplicate the look of "Day & Night" that you referenced:

The cat layer is line art. Fill it with BLACK in the area around the cat (so the cat interior is clear).

Have your starry night background on a layer underneath the cat line art. (this background could also be a separate project , referenced as Source layer in the KeyFramer FX tool in the FX Stack)
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 5.07.42 PM.jpg
(click image to see it larger)

------

EDIT: Elodie mentioned the gif image above is not showing . If it's not showing up for you I'm attaching the gif file below. (you will have to click on it or download it to view) .

Hi, thank you for replying! But Im afraid that's not really what I want to do. I cannot have the black BG around the cat, as the cat will walk on the scrolling jungle background with other animals. Basically the cat is the only one which needs to have the starry sky in her. I guess it will act as sort of a mask, but I do not know how to make it work properly.

I hope this makes more sense, as Im pretty bad at explaining technical things lol
holyax

Post by holyax »

Here is a better example of the style I would like to use. Look at Tommy's shirt here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mFU-UeWpqc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It sort of has its own pattern on a different layer
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I think I understood what you want.

http://www.tvpaint.com/forum_attachment ... arkles.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully it helps :)
holyax

Post by holyax »

Elodie wrote:I think I understood what you want.

http://www.tvpaint.com/owncloud/index.p ... NCnLYVQ5Af" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully it helps :)

YES!!!! I love you, Elodie!! :D Thank you so much for making this!!!! The stencil is exactly the thing I was looking for!!! At first I was confused a bit as it is TVPaint 11 in the video, and I have TvPaint 10, but I hope it should work the same way here!!

Thank you again!
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I'm glad that it helped you :)