Way to merge clips in Storyboard view, and maintain duration?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
mikdog

Way to merge clips in Storyboard view, and maintain duration?

Post by mikdog »

Hi all, hope all well. A question please - so I've done my storyboard, and some of the clips should be included in the same shot/scene.
I found the MERGE CLIPS button. They merge the clips together but the problem I'm encountering is, the merged clip keeps the first clip's duration, and doesn't include the second clip's additional duration.
So if I have eg 6 clips that should all be part of the same scene, I merge them all but end up with a short shot that's just whatever the first clip's duration is, so I need to manually choose a new longer 'Out' point for the merged clip, as well as reposition all the new storyboard images along the timeline again - I lose all my timing from the other merged clips.

Is this the intended behaviour? Is there any way to make it so that when I click on MERGE, the duration stays the same of CLIP 1 + CLIP 2?

Thank you.
Peter Wassink

Re: Way to merge clips in Storyboard view, and maintain duration?

Post by Peter Wassink »

I agree this is wrong and could be considered a UX bug imho.
I think you may reasonably expect that when you merge two clips, the newly combined clip is going to be the same length as the two unmerged clips were together.

There is some logic to this ...though this behaviour is still unwanted and should be fixed.

Namely it does work if you switch off the Mark-in/out of the first clip.
Then it will join both clips and display the correct pre-merge length
how ever...
a Mark-OUT on the first clip will cut off any of the merged clips following, resulting in the second cliplength disapearing from the timeline!
and a Mark-IN on the first clip will be ignored resulting in a merged clip that is longer then before the merge!
in-out bug projectview merging clips.jpg
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
mikdog

Post by mikdog »

Peter Wassink wrote: 12 Jun 2024, 12:14 I agree this is wrong and could be considered a UX bug imho.
I think you may reasonably expect that when you merge two clips, the newly combined clip is going to be the same length as the two unmerged clips were together.

There is some logic to this ...though this behaviour is still unwanted and should be fixed.

how ever...
a Mark-OUT on the first clip will cut off any of the merged clips following, resulting in the second cliplength disapearing from the timeline!
and a Mark-IN on the first clip will be ignored resulting in a merged clip that is longer then before the merge!
Hey Peter - thank you for your answer.
I'm a little confused - when I toggle the out marker of the first clip to off ie remove the out marker, I lose my duration of the first clip and it defaults back to lasting a single frame.
May I ask how you're turning off the mark in and mark out point of the first clip without the duration changing of the clip, please?
I'll try and recreate your steps.
mikdog

Post by mikdog »

Peter Wassink wrote: 12 Jun 2024, 12:14 I agree this is wrong and could be considered a UX bug imho.

how ever...
I forgot to include a video to help explain:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cQmedF ... share_link

Am I doing it right? :?: :oops: