Yet Another Strange Issue Never Before Encountered . . .

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
toonybrain

Yet Another Strange Issue Never Before Encountered . . .

Post by toonybrain »

I think I qualify for the award for strange issues never before encountered. Here's another one.

Lately, when I regularly save a project on which I'm working in TVP, a box pops up after I click SAVE that says it's moving the file. I jump on the box quickly and click CANCEL and end it's processing of this nefarious and unauthorized activity. Then when I click SAVE again, all works well. I've never had this happen before the past several days. Anyone out there ever encounter this weird event? :shock:
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: Yet Another Strange Issue Never Before Encountered . . .

Post by ematecki »

This is "normal".
When saving over an existing file, TVPA first moves the old file (adding a .bak extension IIRC).
Then it saves the file, and then remove the renamed file.
This is done to avoid losing your work when, e.g. there is a power outage during the save.

Or if you have "auto backup" activated in the preferences, it will move the previous file to a new name including the date,
even removing the oldest file when your maximum backups is reached.

Why does the box appear on your computer, I don't know, windows mysteries !
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

this is indeed normal. I have been having a "moving file" dialogue showing often when working on large files.
anyway, you shouldn't cancel the operation because then you lose data, and also risk having fragments of file leftovers on your disks.
ematecki wrote:Why does the box appear on your computer, I don't know, windows mysteries !
Why is it a mystery? If a command was sent to windows to move a file to another location it is expected that a file-moving dialogue should appear.
and if it is not meant to be, I'd be happy to know how to prevent these and leave the activity to happen in the background.
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

There is a flag when sending the command to windows to not show the dialog, but it seems with the recent surge in paranoia in windows it will be shown everytime.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !