All my frames disappear when I open my saved file!

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
kittycat12

All my frames disappear when I open my saved file!

Post by kittycat12 »

Ok so I'm working on a project which requires me to import a .mov file in my tvpaint program. I put that in one layer and I trace over on another layer. When I save my progress, it tells me it saves. However, If I close the program and open it up later, the file will open but everything is gone!!! It opens up as if a new project. This only happens when I have a .avi or a .mov in my project. Please help, this is very important for my project!
Also, I don't know if this helps, but I had downloaded the trial version of tvpaint pro (blue butterfly icon) before bought the standard version (yellow butterfly icon). When I save my files, it defaults to saving it to the trail version.... I don't know why.... so I have to right click and choose to open it with the standard version that I bought. I don't know if that could be related but I have no idea of to uninstall it. I am using a MacBook Pro.
Broughtvulture

Re: All my frames disappear when I open my saved file!

Post by Broughtvulture »

I never tried importing a raw video in TVPaint before, I usually convert the video file into an image sequence and then import the images. I use Sony Vegas 10 as my video to image converter, but if you search "video to image sequence converter" you might find free alternatives. After you've got the sequences, all you have to do is click on the first picture of the sequence and TVPaint will automatically string the other images with it. You might want to save the sequence in its own folder, since it will contain a great amout of images and cause alot confusion if you don't.

If the image sequence thing doesn't work you might have to try reinstalling TVPaint and seeing whether that fixes the problem.
Windows 7 64-bit
FX 8350 8 Core - 16 GB RAM
TVPaint Professional 11.0.8 64-bit

BNV
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

When opening a video for import, take care not to check the "preload" option. Preload means the video file is just linked to, not imported. Usually TVP should ask you where to look for the video file if it lost connection (because a file was moved or deleted).

Although I do it this way I've noticed that my imported videos were often not saved withing the TVP project file. Upon further testing I found it's necessary to do something with the video layer, like colour correct it or resize or paint a dot somewhere, to force TVP into really saving each frame of the imported video into the project. (v 10.0.18)
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

hmmm ... in contrary : preload does import all frame in the project.
Fabrice Debarge
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Oh, another source of confusion. Maybe re-wording would help? I'm used to "import" versus "link".
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Isn't "preload" clear enough ? I don't see where it's confusing, but ok I'm not native english speaker.
Fabrice Debarge
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, "load" and "preload" don't mean much in respect whether the video is saved within the project file. I think I've seen "preload" being used for linked files in other programs before, thus my confusion.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

"Link" is much more confusing IMHO : if there is a link, it means there is a dependence, so the sequence is not load within the TVPaint file. That's how I would understand this.

"Embed source" / "Intégrer la source" would be clearer.
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Elodie wrote:"Link" is much more confusing IMHO : if there is a link, it means there is a dependence, so the sequence is not load within the TVPaint file. That's how I would understand this.
I think slowtiger meant it the other way so
"NOT PreLoad" = Linked
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

maybe it is confusing that Not Preload (Linked) Is the Default behaviour. and you have to make a checkbox to Preload(Embedded) you footage in the project.
Maybe Preload(Embedded) Should be the default?
And You would have to click the check box to make the import Not Preloaded(Not Embedded)(Linked Source)
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Actually I find Preload confusing
If I import a png I have the option to check/Uncheck the preload option. But It doesnt seem to make any difference. It seems like single png as always preloadet?

Is this true?
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Whether it is a sequence or a single image imported, the first image is always preloaded / embedded.

Don't ask me why, this how it has been done many years ago. (If I remember well, this is the first image that keep the data to find the dependence).
Scott Roberts

Post by Scott Roberts »

It looks like I'm having this same problem. This thread doesn't help much as far as recovering my work. There's a great deal of discussion about preloading, but doesn't get at the heart of the problem: is there any way to fix a file that shows up blank? I moved the MOV file to another directory so TVPaint requests it, but when I choose the MOV the drawings still don't show up in the project.

There's obviously SOMETHING saved in the project files: I save incrementally and each TVPP file is larger than the last. There must be some way to recover those drawings, isn't there?

And just to be clear, the solution is you SHOULD check "preload"?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Roberts

Post by Scott Roberts »

kittycat12 wrote:Ok so I'm working on a project which requires me to import a .mov file in my tvpaint program. I put that in one layer and I trace over on another layer. When I save my progress, it tells me it saves. However, If I close the program and open it up later, the file will open but everything is gone!!! It opens up as if a new project. This only happens when I have a .avi or a .mov in my project. Please help, this is very important for my project!
I figured it out! (at least I fixed it for me, hopefully you too)

The drawings are still there, they're just hidden. There are tabs above the Layer section of the timeline: Project and Clip. If you click on Project it will show clips to choose from. For some reason the project opens up on a blank clip. In my case I double-clicked the correct clip and it all came back. Weird problem, but I'm relieved to not lose all that work!

I hope this helps you as well!
Scott
Animark

Post by Animark »

If the TVPaint Team is rethinking about the naming of the "Preload", I just want to mention, that I have been always confused about what "Preload" really does (embedding, or not), because before I only used the term in the context of Flash-Programming. There it means, that a flash-file is waiting to start until enough data is loaded.

I would prefer a more descriptive term like "Embed into project" - so that no doubt remains.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)