TVPaint crashes all the time (solved)

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Soom

TVPaint crashes all the time (solved)

Post by Soom »

(Win 7, TVP 10.5.7 std)
Following my previous post about the mysterious disappearance of panels (http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - TVPaint is just crashing now all the time. We tried several restore points, reinstalling completely TVPaint, running malware tests, registry cleaners, etc. Nothing helped. Is there any way to track this down? Usually it crashes right on launching, sometimes a few minutes after that. Sometimes it doesn't crash for a while, the crashes on quitting...
It has been going on for a couple of months, but never so much - before this week it was just crashing sometimes on startup, usually when trying to launch it by double clicking a TVP file (instead of launching the program first).
If nothing helps, we will have to try reinstalling Windows...

UPDATE: So far the problem seemed to be with Wacom drivers. Downgrading to version 6.3.11 solved the crashing problem. I still don't know what caused the custom panels disappear though.
Last edited by Soom on 19 Nov 2015, 14:35, edited 2 times in total.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Scott Roberts

Re: Bad news - TVPaint crashes all the time now

Post by Scott Roberts »

I've been having a similar problem with TVP crashing during startup. It seems to happen more often when I double-click on a file to open, but it happens sometimes no matter which way I try. It eventually starts up after a number of tries (from 1-5). However, I haven't had a problem recently with it crashing while I'm working.

Scott
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I've been having a similar problem with TVP crashing during startup. It seems to happen more often when I double-click on a file to open, but it happens sometimes no matter which way I try. It eventually starts up after a number of tries (from 1-5). However, I haven't had a problem recently with it crashing while I'm working.
Scott, I might be wrong, but I think you use network licenses. So the problem is different than the one of Soom.
I had seen the same issue in a school once : it was just the wacom drivers that were too old.
Also, please don't forget to : http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's important for us to provide the best support.
(Win 7, TVP 10.5.7 std)
An update, following my previous post about the mysterious disappearance of panels - TVPaint is just crashing now all the time. We tried several restore points, reinstalling completely TVPaint, running malware tests, registry cleaners, etc. Nothing helped. Is there any way to track this down? Usually it crashes right on launching, sometimes a few minutes after that. Sometimes it doesn't crash for a while, the crashes on quitting...
It has been going on for a couple of months, but never so much - before this week it was just crashing sometimes on startup, usually when trying to launch it by double clicking a TVP file (instead of launching the program first). If nothing helps, we will have to try reinstalling Windows...
Before doing that, what happen if you reset your TVPaint configuration ? (hold the Ctrl key on windows and start the software, then reset the config or use a new one).
Same with Wacom drivers : try to reinstall, update, downgrade.
Fabrice Debarge
Scott Roberts

Post by Scott Roberts »

Hi Fabrice,

No, this isn't a problem with a networked license, it's my standalone license at home. I haven't heard any complaints about the lab computers, other than the somewhat frequent crashes of the dongles on the server.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, as well as my Cintiq drivers, and the problem has continued.

Scott
Soom

Post by Soom »

I am on the network license actually - at work.
But I think I have found the cause: the new Wacom drivers! I got a new computer temporary, while we reinstall my system, and the Wacom driver there was 6.3.11. I had to update it to 6.3.15, because otherwise I couldn't restore my prefs from the newer version (how wonderful of Wacom!) but as soon as installed the new driver, TVP started crashing on startup. So I reinstalled the older driver, and everything is fine!
I think you should look into it
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Thanks Soom, that might help some other people !
Soom

Post by Soom »

Fabrice wrote:
Scott, I might be wrong, but I think you use network licenses. So the problem is different than the one of Soom.
I had seen the same issue in a school once : it was just the wacom drivers that were too old.
Also, please don't forget to : http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's important for us to provide the best support.
(Win 7, TVP 10.5.7 std)
An update, following my previous post about the mysterious disappearance of panels - TVPaint is just crashing now all the time. We tried several restore points, reinstalling completely TVPaint, running malware tests, registry cleaners, etc. Nothing helped. Is there any way to track this down? Usually it crashes right on launching, sometimes a few minutes after that. Sometimes it doesn't crash for a while, the crashes on quitting...
It has been going on for a couple of months, but never so much - before this week it was just crashing sometimes on startup, usually when trying to launch it by double clicking a TVP file (instead of launching the program first). If nothing helps, we will have to try reinstalling Windows...
Before doing that, what happen if you reset your TVPaint configuration ? (hold the Ctrl key on windows and start the software, then reset the config or use a new one).
Same with Wacom drivers : try to reinstall, update, downgrade.
Yes, right - sorry, forgot to post a link.
As I said - we have tried to completely reinstall TVPaint, this included deleting all the settings, but it didn't help.
Downgrading the Wacom drivers was the solution!
Fabrice

Re: TVPaint crashes all the time (solved)

Post by Fabrice »

ok, I think Thierry will check all the Wacom drivers versions soon.
Fabrice Debarge
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Scott Roberts wrote:Hi Fabrice,

No, this isn't a problem with a networked license, it's my standalone license at home. I haven't heard any complaints about the lab computers, other than the somewhat frequent crashes of the dongles on the server.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, as well as my Cintiq drivers, and the problem has continued.

Scott
ok Scott, would you mind doing this : http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

Once again, it's almost impossible to help you without all those informations. It's like being blind and trying to find your way in a city.
Fabrice Debarge